"Sans Scatting"

Started by Blooby, September 13, 2009, 10:06:36 AM

Blooby

An improvised jam from 9-7-09.

I cannot accurately express how badly we (meaning The Museum of Oddities bi-monthly living room jam members) played last week beyond the term "poo-poo."  Equipment wasn't working, half of us couldn't play worth a damn, songs sounded like crap, etc.

I was going through the (painful) process of listening to some of the stuff for educational purposes for the band members when I happened on this jam.  This was done after people started leaving.  It started with the drummer and myself just noodling.  I went back late last night and added the (unbelievably excessive and noodly) bass.  I must say it's weird to overdub over improvisation (although the last chord progression is from a Marshall Tucker tune called "Carolina Sunset").  I am still laughing out loud as to how lost I was during the bass overdub between 2:00 and 2:45 or so. Wow, talk about noodling.

This was done on a Hagstrom Viking II on loan from a local store to try it out.  I ended up not buying it.

I know the "tune" is loose, but it has a certain charm that was lacking in everything else we attempted that night.  Even with clams, it shows off our drummer Dave's prodigious talents...that wacky percussion monster.

Now to the the title of this thread.  I long for somebody to get drunk and scat over this a la Ella or Cab Calloway.  Better yet, different people would take different sections, thus creating a "scat-off."

Comments from my last few posts asked for more bass and kick drum, so here goes...

Blooby

Scatology - 1) interest in or treatment of obscene matters 2) the biologically oriented study of excrement

Time:
0:00
Volume:

Newer post further down in this thread.

OsCKilO

Quote from: Blooby on September 13, 2009, 10:06:36 AMScatology - 1) interest in or treatment of obscene matters 2) the biologically oriented study of excrement

I won't be posting a picture...............

Awesome Jam though Blooby!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Blooby

Quote from: osckilo on September 13, 2009, 10:10:05 AMI won't be posting a picture...............

That was a good one.

Bluesberry

Nice jam, you are right about that drummer, flipping rhythm genius.  And you say these are on Roland V-drums, sounds real to me.  And what great free-form guitar work there Blooby, really nice.

Funny thing, just this morning my son and I were goofing around on the computer and we Googled dirty diapers and we were looking at pictures of diapers full of poop and laughing like fools.  And then we have this post quoting scatology, so I guess we were engaged in a little scatology this morning.  This jam is definitely not poop, it flows and grooves along nicely.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

Couldn't resist.......

This does not relate to the Quality of the Music in any way............!!!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

Quote from: Blooby on September 14, 2009, 07:01:56 AM
Quote from: osckilo on September 13, 2009, 05:04:51 PMThis does not relate to the Quality of the Music in any way............!!!!!

Wouldn't it be great if this stuff worked on song files?

I'd need shares in the company!   
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

It's really hard to believe it was a bad jam when something like this comes from it. I dig it.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

Thanks, O, Bluesberry, and Tony.  I'm listening back to the other tunes from that night, and although they weren't great by any means, they weren't quite as horrendous as I remember.  It was the first night we got together where I didn't drink a beer or three.  There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Quote from: Bluesberry on September 13, 2009, 10:44:31 AMYou say these are on Roland V-drums, sounds real to me.

They are actually the Yamaha DTXpress IV.

Peace.

Blooby

Geir

Just love the guitarwork here ...so free and flowing ...  almost jazzy in parts ..

great drumming AND bass too
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

SteveG

Nice jam, loose yeah, but it just adds to it. Heard guys doing freeform stuff on stage nowhere near as good as this.