Open Mikes, Local Music scenes and Politics

Started by bruno, June 22, 2013, 04:57:07 PM

bruno

ORH - you've never played at an Open Mike - that really surprises me??? Man, you have more ability than most who play Open Mike's regularly - really, really, really - no BS. The first will be nerve wrecking, but you will feel fantastic afterwards. You possess a great voice. Playing live is different from at home, things happen that you simply don't expect, but I'm sure that you'd get loads out of it. Once you start playing, you are in you own little bubble anyway. You can always play with 2 of you - that makes it so much easier (strength in numbers).

Once you do one, its like falling off a log - you'd be doing them all the time. You must get along and do at least one - if I were in Scotland I'd drag you out, and play guitar for you and make you sing - once you get the feel for it, they'd be no stopping you. You'd be braw  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

re FL - if me and Hook get to play live - I'll be sure to put up a vid :-)

I still think it would be great to do a Songcrafters open mike - but logistics would be a nightmare. Playing live for each other would be wicked. Perhaps one day!

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Oldrottenhead

i go regularly to a local get together very informal not an open mic. but the talent there is incredible, the playing and singing at the same time malarky terrifies me. plus my thumb strum technique on the guitar is awful. thank gawd for multitrackers. so there i am an observer.

re meeting hook, i am sure you guys will have a ball. i have had the great good fortune of meeting quite a few songcrafters now, and the memories of those meetings are etched into my memory forevermore ( notwithstanding early onset senile dementhingy).

hilary i am sure i have talents, i am a very good juggler for one and am adept at a few conjuring/magic tricks but live performance fills me with trepidation. done it once but i had , geir, greeny and flash harry right behind me and copious quantities of sheffield's finest ales giving me additional dutch courage.

doing it on my own, get the hell outta here no chance.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Blooby

If the open mic pans out in Florida, please keep me in the loop.  As a Floridian, it might be possible for me to be a fly on the wall.

Blooby

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Hilary

ORH - I'm coming up to Scotland next year (there's still an outside chance I'll make it this year but it's not looking very likely atm) albeit to Edinburgh (I'm going to do the free fringe in 2014) so be warned :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Oldrottenhead

edinburgh is a fine fine city, the fringe tho, is a very different kettle of fish, more performers than there is an audience.

the big acts fill big halls, the little acts play to empty rooms. if you are doing a gig, with lots of performers promoting there shows, you will have an audience but a very very tough one. some of the "compilation" type shows are reminiscent of the early stages of the "x factor" and "britains got talent", except the audience makes simon cowel seem like a pussy cat in comparison.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Hilary

Quote from: oldrottenhead on June 23, 2013, 05:49:39 PMedinburgh is a fine fine city, the fringe tho, is a very different kettle of fish, more performers than there is an audience.

the big acts fill big halls, the little acts play to empty rooms. if you are doing a gig, with lots of performers promoting there shows, you will have an audience but a very very tough one. some of the "compilation" type shows are reminiscent of the early stages of the "x factor" and "britains got talent", except the audience makes simon cowel seem like a pussy cat in comparison.

Bring it on . . . I'm going to do 50 minutes (my own show)! They say for every yes, you get 7 no's - well I've had the next 20 years worth of no's/rejection - the odds are now in my favour for a yes :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Oldrottenhead

go for it, let me know when, if i can get through i'll come and heckle you like a guid un  ;D ;D
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann