Open Mikes, Local Music scenes and Politics

Started by bruno, June 22, 2013, 04:57:07 PM

bruno

Man, is it me. Its been a sucky week, and I've had it up to the back teeth with local music scene's, petty little cliques and rubbish politics.

Songcrafter's strives for the higher moral ground, for the love of music. It's my safe haven, and thank the Lord for that!

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

Oh Bruno, you've been holding out on me - dish the dirt!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

bruno

Haha Haylie - made my 'statement' on FB.  :) :)
Last night was complete chaos, was supposed to play a 8, got bumped to 10, and then a load of other stuff got bumped in, time wasn't on our side - so we bailed, very rock n' roll :-) and the straw that broke the camel's back!

I bit of explanation. The main driver for me stupid and petty politics around Basingstoke Live - and what was said to Mazz. It a free music festival funded by Basingstoke and Dean. Its supposed to be 'open', but the organisers (from the outside looking in) seem to run it like a cartel for their mates. A few of us live outside of Basingstoke, and very much get the impression of being excluded. But I would like to add that we pay our council tax to Basingstoke and Dean - so frigging well pay for it.

Daughter Mazz really wanted to play, but she was told (last year this is) - that you and your dad are not good enough. Only found this out in the last week or so. Now, I've broad enough shoulders,  but it destroyed Mazz's confidence (at 17) - to the point that she hasn't performed since.  

So - there it is - I've had my fill - and have bailed from the Basingstoke music scene. Oh god, I've turned into a primadonna  ;D ;D ;D ;D

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Burtog

Balls to Basingstoke 'live' then Bruno - I've heard plenty of your stuff and a couple of numbers with you and Mazz - you're both great and Mazz has an amazing voice - would love to hear more on here.

Maybe you could set up/host your own thing up?

recorder
Boss BR-800

Hilary

Yeah sorry Bruno, saw the SC post before facebook (yes really!)

I'm playing Basingstoke Live this year and really looking forward to it (they've moved my slot so I can do my err more adult material - thank the Lord)

Your band, Sex Dinosaur, performed last year (albeit without you) so that would imply you are included in the 'cartel for mates'

I understand you're upset and especially hurt about Mazz, if you are going to survive you need a really thick skin because rejection is part of the package unfortunately.

You're both extremely talented - it's Basingstoke's loss.

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Facemask93

My oh my , not good enough , I'm shocked , their loss i think , give mazz my regards mate , i think she is great , so too are you, what a fuckup organisation they are

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

bruno

Thanks for your support guys.

Haylie - I know you are playing - and really hope you have a blast. I'm sure if you can give them 100% Haylie Uncensored, you will have the entire crowd singing along  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I've played once at BL as John O asked me to accompany him on the fiddle on a couple of tracks - which was fun, but never given a slot despite Mazz asking for several years.

Yeah - I think Paul did BL last year - but only coz he put his foot down. And knowing how much effort he had put into the general Basingstoke music scene, left a somewhat sour taste. Ask him the next time that you see him.

As for Mazz and Me - yeah, take the point. The industry ain't pretty. However, for me, without joy of playing there is no music. For me, if people criticise me, I think I can take it - sometimes I don't like it, but hey, sometimes they are right. But I can't really take that about Mazz. So I am torn, as there are some lovely people in that scene who I'd like to support, but I've reached that point of no return. So me and Paul are planning The Railway in Winchester - and there is a possibility of a FL OpenMike with Hook, which would be just the coolest thing ever. As one door closes, another opens ...... Plus I need to do some more recordings with Mazz ...

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

Mazz isn't the only one upset about Basingstoke Live, The Cottonettes have been slightly more vocal about it and they are a really well established band . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_I-SrMY3Cs

Quote from: bruno on June 23, 2013, 10:15:27 AMHaylie - I know you are playing - and really hope you have a blast. I'm sure if you can give them 100% Haylie Uncensored, you will have the entire crowd singing along  ;D ;D ;D ;D

No I won't be 100% uncensored, you've seen my act  :o - I don't know what I'm performing yet - I've got some new ones I'm doing on the 1st, if they go well I'd like to open with those - if they don't, I'll do something else.

Good luck at The Railway and an FL Open Mic sounds very awesome  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Oldrottenhead

Quote- and there is a possibility of a FL OpenMike with Hook
please please video that if it happens (i know i am possibly off topic, but i have never had the bottle for an open mic nor the talent).
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hilary

Quote from: oldrottenhead on June 23, 2013, 03:50:34 PM
Quote- and there is a possibility of a FL OpenMike with Hook
please please video that if it happens (i know i am possibly off topic, but i have never had the bottle for an open mic nor the talent).

You've got a bucket load of talent!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça