help guys

Started by fenderbender, March 22, 2013, 07:19:26 PM

fenderbender

I know everyone is worn out and bored by all the posts on
should I get a BR8 or BR800
but this is kinda taking over my life at the moment
I have to soon make a choice and I want to be sure .
I have been using the BR600 since the year dot -I love it inside and out
BUT I always fear I'm gonna plug it in and turn it on and ............................
Now you guys here have one or the other or in some cases both the BR 80 & Br 800
please I really would appreciate your views on this
so I will set out the way I record on the 600
1 -I use Line-in for my basic backer -bass and drums
2 -then I record my guitar tracks -if an instro I record the lead on St. tracks 5/6
3-if I'm doing a vocal -same thing -St tracks 5/6
4- then mix and bounce
5-then master
6-line out to Audacity convert to MP3
So not requiring the PC for -mixing bouncing etc
can I do all the above on the BR80 or BR800????
sorry for going over old ground guys
but really I am an old nerd who does'nt know the way forward

tommy
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

IanR

Tommy,

I recently converted from MBR to BR 800.  I'm still learning but I'm fairly sure that you can do what you need on the BR 800.

From what I have read on this forum and elsewhere, I think you could do the same with the BR80 too.

They are both  8 track recorders and provide for line in, mic in, guitar in, etc.  Tracks 1-4 are mono tracks and tracks 5/6 and 7/8 are stereo tracks.

You should be right with either.

They both have slightly different features but the basics are the same.

I'm sure that others will confirm.

In fact there is a thread on this below where 64 Guitars provides a very nice summary of the BR800 and refers to the BR80.  Its probably what you need to read to make your decision.

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=17920.0

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

fenderbender

Thank you Ian
for your info help and link to 64's great summary
should have read more of the posts  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Regards

Tommy
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

64Guitars

Quote from: fenderbender on March 22, 2013, 07:19:26 PMthe way I record on the 600
1 -I use Line-in for my basic backer -bass and drums

Quote from: fenderbender on March 22, 2013, 07:19:26 PM6-line out to Audacity convert to MP3

Line In?  Line Out?  Why???

Although you can do that on the BR-800, I don't know why you'd want to. All those unnecessary conversions between digital and analog are degrading the sound quality. It's much better to use the BR Wave Converter instead so that your song stays in digital form the whole time.

And why not record your own bass and drums instead of using a backer? You're obviously a skilled guitarist, so you'd have no trouble playing bass. If you don't own a bass, buy one. It needn't be expensive. Or use the bass simulator in the BR and play the bass lines on your guitar. The BRs all have great drum machines built-in. Why not use them? You can create drum arrangements with the BR Rhythm Editor software using the BR's preset patterns, or even create your own custom patterns. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I think you'd find it much more satisfying to create a recording that you can honestly say is entirely your own, rather than relying on a backing track made by a stranger or a computer.

The BR-800 can do pretty much everything your BR-600 can do and more. The only thing I can think of that the BR-600 has which the BR-800 lacks is the velocity-sensitive drum pads. The effects patches will be different. But the BR-800 has most of the effects available on the BR-600 plus several new ones (fuzz pedals, sitar simulator, Uni-Vibe, etc.), so you should be able to re-create most BR-600 patches with a bit of tweaking. And you might find that you prefer the BR-800's preset patches anyway.

The BR-80 also compares favourably to the BR-600 and has the advantages of USB 2.0, pocketable size, and lower price compared to the BR-800. But, of course, the BR-800 has many features not available on the BR-80 (real faders, loop recording, phantom power, can be used as a control surface for a software DAW, etc.) The BR-80's drum machine is easier to program because you no longer have to specify the starting measure of each step. Instead, you simply specify the length of the step in measures.

Personally, I can't stand tiny gadgets like smartphones and MP3 players. I like devices that are big enough for my adult-size hands to operate and for my ageing eyes to see. So I'd prefer the BR-800 over the BR-80. But I'm sure I'm in the minority here. Most people seem to love tiny devices. If you do too, then the BR-80 is a great recorder for the money.

You'll find lots more on the pros and cons of the BR-800 and BR-80 in these topics:

BR-800:  https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=6710.0

BR-80:  https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=10830.0

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

fenderbender

;D ;D ;D ;D
Thank you for taking the time 64
to talk some sense into me -
my downfall is laziness-laziness
I suppose in the time it takes me to put a basic bass and drum backer together in chordpulse
( in a couple of minutes-I kinda think i have it down to a fine art)
I could do the same in the BR600 (the beloved of my life ;D)
I have a cheapy bass -so no excuses -and the bass patches are good on the 600-
I have got into the habit of of line in-line out-
line in with chordpule
and line out with Audacity (for converting to mp3)
I do all my mixdown on the BR600

So laziness and being a bit of a nerd is my problem
ohhhh and age  ;D
I totally agree with you re creating a recording totally from scratch.

thanks for the way forward 64

regards
Tommy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600