I am in someone else's autobiography and it's weird.........!

Started by Ferryman, March 19, 2012, 04:25:28 PM

Ferryman

I just found that an old band mate of mine has written a book about his life and times in various bands, and I am featured quite a bit in it. It's a very odd feeling, because although he is quite complimentary about me in places, it's clear he viewed me as rather ambitious and that I contributed significantly to the break up of the band (and dumped on one of the founder members), so he has a bit of bad blood for me.

It's really weird to get a detailed view of how someone else views you. We always tend to see ourselves quite positively and it's sobering to see that someone doesn't see you in quite the same light. There's always two sides to every story, I suppose I should've written my book first to set the record straight!

Fortunately the book is self-published on Kindle and appears to have only been read by his friends and family judging by the reviews. So my secret is safe for now. I haven't had any of the gutter press asking for my version of things so far.......

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Burtog

So what was the band then................sounds interesting!!
recorder
Boss BR-800

chip

I'm in Julian Copes book " Head On" He used to hang around with us before he went stellar.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Ferryman on March 19, 2012, 04:25:28 PMI just found that an old band mate of mine has written a book about his life and times in various bands, and I am featured quite a bit in it. It's a very odd feeling, because although he is quite complimentary about me in places, it's clear he viewed me as rather ambitious and that I contributed significantly to the break up of the band (and dumped on one of the founder members), so he has a bit of bad blood for me.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel, you should have canned him early on before he had the goods on you.... :) Nope I've never been in that situation or at least none of my former bandmates have publicly documented it......that I know of. You should consider it a compliment!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

FuzzFace

Hmmm... I always assumed I would be the one writing the autobiography.

I did come across an online discussion regarding some long-forgotten youthful antics of mine, which did give me a unique perspective on myself.

It never ceases to amaze me how differently everyone remembers events.

Tony W

My current band members can barely read, and way too lazy to write.... I'm good.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

at least you got a mention nigel.

nice one chip, am a big fan of st julian, did you hang out with the crucial three too?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

chip

Quote from: oldrottenhead on March 20, 2012, 10:42:51 AMat least you got a mention nigel.

nice one chip, am a big fan of st julian, did you hang out with the crucial three too?

No, well before all that,. Julian used to hang around our practice room listening to my bass playing ( he won't admit that though) in his, at the time trade mark duffle coat. He would then follow us up to my mates house where we all get blown out and listen to John Peel recordings all night, then retire to the caravan outside the parents house ( or should that be chucked out) We still had quite a bit to do with him after Teardrop, when he came back to live in the town/village and hired Donald Skinner as his guitar player. Saint Julian, the cover was shot at night at the scap yard up the road, Fried was shot at the lakes a mile or so from where I live. Very strange lad old Julian, liked his micro**** too much :-X
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Greeny

That must be a very odd experience, Nigel. But surely it's better to be remembered as significant (whether good or bad...) than consigned to someone who just faded into the background? It would have been worse if you'd been forgotten! And for those of us who are lucky enough to have met you, there's no need to set the story straight - we know what a thoroughly nice, decent and level-headed chap you are!

It hasn't happened to me yet. And I'm not sure I'd want to read it if it ever did. I'd rather be doing the writing than the reading!

Rata-tat-tat

Quote from: Tony W on March 20, 2012, 09:56:33 AMMy current band members can barely read, and way too lazy to write.... I'm good.

I thought your douche rocket sound guy could read???
recorder
Tascam DP-02