Keeping tracks organized

Started by SpikeVelvet, May 20, 2011, 02:59:25 PM

SpikeVelvet

Any advice out there for keeping tracks organized. I'm finding I have to go back through a song and do a pretty time consuming "inventory" to see what I have recorded.

Geir

I think there's some printable track-sheets somewhere on this site ..... I've made my own for the BR800 in excel and can upload it if anyone want it (can easily be edited to the Micro). It's just a 8x8 table with enough space to write in what's on each track.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

I have a 8"x10" notebook that I use for my songs.  I record all track info as I go, tempo, drum programming notes, lyrics, effect settings, everything associated with a song.  I figure thus way I can go back at some point in time and remember how I made the song.  But I don't use anything fancy, just write down everything as I go on the blank pages of my notebook.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

I like Bluesberry's idea of using a notebook because it's bound, so you won't misplace any pages. Printed track sheets are also a good idea. Several have been posted here in the past. I'll try to find them and put them in a separate topic. As Geir said, it's also a good idea to create your own track sheet so you can tailor it to your own needs. And remember to always date your track sheets. That way, if you re-do a song later, you'll be able to tell which track sheet is which.

Other tips:

• Try to always use the same tracks for each instrument. For example, maybe you'll decide that your bass guitar will always go on track 3, v1 and your lead vocals will always go on track 1, v1. By being consistent, you'll always know where to look for your bass or lead vocals in each song. There's no rule that says you have to record your tracks in order starting on track 1. So if you want to start a new song by laying down a bass track first, just arm track 3 and start recording. You can always record to tracks 1 and 2 later.
  • Keep your individual base tracks separate from your mixes. I use v-track 8 for mixes. This way, when I go into the BR Wave Converter or BR Explorer, it's easy to see which tracks are mixes and which are the individual base tracks. See this message. This may not be as important for Micro BR users since you have to bounce so often. But it still helps to be consistent. So, for example, you might always put your bounces on Tr12v2 through Tr12v7, and your master mix on Tr12v8. That means your individual base tracks will always be on tracks 3 and 4 except for v-track 1 where you can use all four tracks.
  • Use the Notes field of BR Explorer to record the details of each track. I use a printed track sheet while I'm recording. When I'm finished the song, I open it in BR Explorer and type all of the track info from my track sheet into the Notes field (on the Song Info tab of the Song Details section). This is written to a small file in the song folder of the BR, so it stays with the song and doesn't get lost.

A great feature of the old BR-8 was that you could type in an 8-character name for each of the 64 tracks (see this message). You could also view the current status of all 64 tracks on a single screen. The BR-800 has a similar screen but, as far as I know, you can't name the tracks. That's too bad. I wish Boss would include track naming in all of the BRs. One of these days (if I ever find time), I plan to add a similar feature to the Track Usage tab of BR Explorer. Of course, that won't be nearly as useful as having that capability right in the BR, but I still think it's worthwhile for documentation purposes.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: 64Guitars on May 21, 2011, 12:45:05 PMPrinted track sheets are also a good idea. Several have been posted here in the past. I'll try to find them and put them in a separate topic.

Here's the topic with all of the track sheets I could find:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=11226.0

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

SteveB

Very Handy. The thick notebook is also a good way forward. Helps to foster a methodical way to work.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

SpikeVelvet

Awesome responses. Thanks for the help!

henwrench

Quote from: Bluesberry on May 20, 2011, 03:16:51 PMI have a 8"x10" notebook that I use for my songs.  I record all track info as I go, tempo, drum programming notes, lyrics, effect settings, everything associated with a song.  I figure thus way I can go back at some point in time and remember how I made the song.  But I don't use anything fancy, just write down everything as I go on the blank pages of my notebook.

That's exactly how old henwrench does it too. In this hi-tech world we live in, sometimes you can't beat a notebook and a pen.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

I've been keeping this stuff in my head. I often do mixing in Audition, so for songs done that way, the DAW becomes my notebook, so to speak.

I need to get organizized...especially once the BR-80 comes out.  ;D

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase