Audacity as a multitrack

Started by henwrench, March 03, 2010, 01:07:23 PM

Flash Harry

Have a look at Reaper. It's a fully fledged DAW, free to trial and it's the full package, a bit of nagware but I have found it really good and really stable. So much so that I actually PAID for a copy. It' must be only the second time I have ever personally paid for a bit of software.

Importing stuff from BR wave converter is a breeze and the automation on the tracks is nice. In fact I love it and it's only $40 for personal use. Advert over.

I like it though.

Did I already say that?
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Geir

hmmmmmmmm   .. I think I'll have to look into this reaper thingy .....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Flash Harry

Quote from: Geir on August 13, 2011, 04:46:52 PMhmmmmmmmm   .. I think I'll have to look into this reaper thingy .....

I have been using it quite a lot recently. I still don't have a BR800.
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Geir

Quote from: Flash Harry on August 13, 2011, 04:48:22 PM
Quote from: Geir on August 13, 2011, 04:46:52 PMhmmmmmmmm   .. I think I'll have to look into this reaper thingy .....

what ??? ....... it is THE one thing you need !!!! Tell the missus I said so !! ;D

oh and tell her thank you for a very good time I had when I was at your place !!!!

I really need to get back soon !
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Flash Harry

Quote from: Geir on August 13, 2011, 04:54:41 PM
Quote from: Flash Harry on August 13, 2011, 04:48:22 PM

what ??? ....... it is THE one thing you need !!!! Tell the missus I said so !! ;D

oh and tell her thank you for a very good time I had when I was at your place !!!!

I really need to get back soon !

You bloody do! I'm starting the 'Studio' project at the end of August which will be a good thing.
- Kurt Vonnegut.

64Guitars

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on August 13, 2011, 12:28:49 PM1.3.8?  I could only find 1.3.13? I'd like that mixer board feature

1.3.13 is actually newer than 1.3.8.  The ".13" is meant to be thirteen rather than one-three.

Bumping the last part of a version number from one digit to two digits is always confusing. When comparing the version numbers, it's not clear whether the single digit has an implied leading zero (.08) or an implied trailing zero (.80). Usually (as in this case), it's an implied leading zero. I wish software companies would either use two digits consistently (1.3.08 instead of 1.3.8) or never use two digits at the end (the next version after 1.3.9 would then be 1.4.0 rather than 1.3.10).

Anyway, 1.3.13 is the latest version and the mixer board is under the View menu, as Geir said.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

phantasm777

perhaps you who have been using audacity can help. i have win 7, dual core, plenty hard drive space, 3 gb ram. when i open the mixer many times when i drag on of the levers, it temp stall the meters on all meters, and if i let off quick, it wont freeze. thats the problem it will freeze when moiving any vol. control in thye mixer, not always but if i move the vol. s too often it freezes and thats that. thank god for the recorvery feature in audacity so not all is lost. but this never happened on earlier versions, i wrote in audacity forums and they say its part of the glitch of win 7 and theyre working on it. whne i open a project even if it is not very long it stalls before loading and the longer the file content the longer it takes to open, this also gave me no problems on earlier versions. again audacity says theyre working on that, alpha didnt and hasnt helped, which is hwhere they directed me to. yes i have the current version and have done all my work on audacity. i really cannot afford to buy a pc mixing program only to find i dont like it or cannot figure it out, so im kinda stuck with audacity and these problems. also when i make "silence" or combine tracks, you know it leaves a dark black line. many times i can click on it and it goes away, but sometimes clicking it to reomvie it can make it freeze. i cannot figure out why only i seem to have this problem. anyways, any help or advice to prevent these frustrating and time consumming errors i get would be appreciated. also, i've gottenb up to about 36 tracks for one song on audacity and the fact that it leaves me that much tracks space is what i like about it IF i need it. i've read other free ones have track limits, and thats BS to me.

64Guitars

Since it seems to be a Windows 7 issue, try setting Windows' compatibility mode to Windows XP.

Right-click on the program file (audacity.exe or whatever they call it in Windows) and select Properties, then click the Compatibility tab. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", then select Windows XP from the drop-down list.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website