BR80 Driver install issue

Started by br80chris, August 04, 2012, 01:15:26 PM

64Guitars

I have neither a BR-80 nor Windows, so I can't give you first-hand advice. However, comparing your procedure to the instructions provided with the driver, I noticed some discrepancies.

Quote from: br80chris on August 04, 2012, 06:44:12 PMDidn't help, here is the process I am doing:
Opening a file folder named :
Drivers
Selecting - win7
Selecting - files
Selecting - 64 bit
Selecting - setup

Not sure if it will make a difference but I don't think that specific Setup.exe is meant to be run directly. Instead, I think you're supposed to run the Setup.exe found in the top-level folder ("Drivers", judging from your description). That setup program will detect your operating system and call the appropriate setup program from the sub-folders. However, it might also do other stuff before calling the program, so it may be important to run that top-level setup program first.

You didn't mention the status of your BR-80 and USB ports. That's the first thing mentioned in the installation instructions. Unfortunately, it seems to offer conflicting advice.

Installation

*   Before installing the driver, you must set the USB Mode of the BR-80 to "Audio."
*   To reinstall or update the driver, refer to "To reinstall."

1.  Start up Windows with all USB cables disconnected.
     (except for keyboard and mouse)

It's not clear if the BR-80 needs to be connected to the computer during installation. They tell you that you must set the USB Mode of the BR-80 to "Audio" but then they tell you to disconnect all USB cables except the keyboard and mouse. Does that include the BR-80's USB cable? Maybe Geir or some other BR-80 user can tell us whether the BR-80 needs to be connected during the install. My guess is that it does. Otherwise, what difference could the USB Mode of the BR-80 make if it's not even connected?

Did you have the BR-80 connected and in Audio mode before you started the installation?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

br80chris

Good Point!  I have tried both installation methods, using the drivers on the BR80 and connecting it and letting the computer detect the and install drivers, it will not install the drivers from that point.

So I downloaded the drivers from the Boss website and I get the issues I now have.

However I will try the procedure you mentioned (although I think I have tried everything but what works already )

I appreciate your help, gonna take a sec and try this right now!

br80chris

Tried to load from main setup folder to no avail....gonna retry the BR80 USB method a sec too...

br80chris

Found this via search (Krasi), would like to try it, but don't have the technical know how....

Re:Cannot re-install new driver after uninstalling old driver. - December 26, 10 2:35 PM ( #3 )
I just spent hours trying to figure out how to uninstall/re-install the Win 7 drivers for the UA-25EX.  Using the Windows uninstaller did not work for me.  Prior to solving, I was seeing essentially the same error message:
UA-25EX Driver Ver.1.0.0

A problem may have occurred.

To install the driver, please execute Uninstal.exe (located in the same folder as Setup.exe), and then execute Setup.exe once again.
After trying the CleanAll.exe utility from Roland (which only runs in Win2000 compat mode and doesn't solve the problem) and a lot of manual registry hacking, I finally found the following solution for re-installing the drivers, based on the Microsoft web page titled Remove a Driver Package from the Driver Store

1) download the driver files to a local directory.    Specifically, in my case I downloaded the Win7 x64 drivers and unzipped them to a directory called ua25es_w764d_v100.
2) run cmd.exe to open a command prompt, and "cd" to the directory ua25ex_w764d_v100.
3) Then cd to the subdirectory "Files"
4) There should be a single file with the .INF extension.  In my case, the file was called RDIF1079.INF
5) to install the driver, run the command:

pnputil.exe -i -a  rdif1079.inf

That command reported that it successfully installed the driver.

After these steps, my Windows 7 laptop once again recognized my UA-25EX when I plugged it into one of the USB ports on the laptop.

p.s. I'm really pissed at either Microsoft or Cakewalk/Roland for creating this mess.  I just spent about 8 hours debugging this issue -  not how I planned to xmas afternoon.

64Guitars

Quote from: br80chris on August 04, 2012, 07:30:10 PMTried to load from main setup folder to no avail....gonna retry the BR80 USB method a sec too...

Did you uninstall first as described in the instructions?

Note that the instructions don't say anything about running Uninstall.exe, so don't. Instead, uninstall from Windows Control Panel as described in the instructions.

To uninstall

• Start up Windows with all USB cables disconnected.
    (except for keyboard and mouse)
  • Exit all applications before you begin the uninstallation.
  • Open "Control Panel" and click "Uninstall a program."
    * If the icon view is selected for the Control Panel, click "Programs and Features."
  • In the list, choose "BR-80 Driver", and click "Uninstall/Change."
  • If a dialog box regarding User Account Control appears, click [Yes].
    * If you are asked to enter the password for an administrative account, log on to Windows as a user whose Account Type is Administrator, and then perform the uninstallation.
  • The display will indicate "The installed BR-80 Driver will be uninstalled." and click the [OK].
  • When the message "Uninstallation was completed." is displayed, click [OK] to restart Windows.

After you've successfully uninstalled the driver, try installing it again with the BR-80 connected and in "Audio" USB mode using the top-level Setup.exe.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

br80chris

went into the control panel but no driver found. Hooked up the Br and set the USB to audio and started it up, it automatically searched for drivers and didn't find any...sooooo I am just about at the same place with it!  I appreciate your help though 64guitars!!!

64Guitars

The only other thing I can suggest is to contact Roland Tech Support. I'm sure they must have encountered this issue before and can guide you through the process of fixing it.

http://www.rolandus.com/support/

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

br80chris

Thanks for all your help, they are on my short list for Monday! Have a great night:-)

br80chris

Roland support said exactly what you guys said, seems the computer isn't cooperating! So I
Have it on my desktop now and gonna forget the laptop:-(

64Guitars

Quote from: br80chris on August 06, 2012, 01:47:42 PMRoland support said exactly what you guys said, seems the computer isn't cooperating! So I
Have it on my desktop now and gonna forget the laptop:-(

Did Roland say whether the BR-80 is supposed to be connected via USB during the installation or disconnected?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website