Where do you put the Micro BR when recording acoustic guitar...?

Started by FuzzFace, November 18, 2008, 01:17:53 PM

FuzzFace

...using the onboard mic?

In other words... physically... how do you position it?

Upright?

Angled somehow?

How close?  10 centimeters?  20?

danieldesete

I'm thinking of building one of these :http://www.instructables.com/id/Microphone-Stand-Adapter-for-4-Track-Recorder-eff/

but I hate the idea of gluing velcro behind my MBR
Has anyone tried that before?
daniel
hou hou ha ha

hewhoiscalledj

i'd say its all a matter of taste, trial and error. but generally speaking, i have the MBR about 12 inches or about 30cm away from the soundhole of my guitar and i just set it down on a desk laying flat down on its back.

i've never tracked this way for a final mix; mostly just songwriting and experimenting. mic placement is quite the topic of discussion but at the end of the day, it's how YOU like YOUR results. try it close, try it far away. hell, record one track upclose, then play the track again and record that from farther away and mix the two tracks together and see what happens. Magic baby. Magic.

Greeny

I play standing up, so I have the BR on the edge of a table about waist height. It gets me close enough to the mic to get a good rounded sound. But I'm getting the best sound of all by using 'GTR' + 'MIC' - i.e. a mix of mic and plugged-in sound.

Doing it like this also allows me to get backing vocals at the same time with a nice distance / ambience to them.

For me, the acoustic recording quality on the BR is wonderful  :)

Flash Harry

Quote from: LesPaulGoldTop on November 19, 2008, 01:54:08 AMI play standing up, so I have the BR on the edge of a table about waist height.

Now that is interesting. I play sitting down and I always have difficulty getting the location of the MBR right. I never considered standing up but it's so obvious!

D'oh! I'm a plank!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.