Strawberry Fields Forever

Started by hooper, November 15, 2008, 02:56:59 PM

hooper

Quote from: Vanncad on August 02, 2009, 04:03:53 PMHey Hoop - Do you have a picture or directions on how to make this type of mic?

Vanncad- I'll get something together and put it up.  There were actually some pics when this post originaly went up last year but the pics did not survive the migration.
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

guitarron

Quote from: hooper on August 02, 2009, 04:24:49 PM
Quote from: Vanncad on August 02, 2009, 04:03:53 PMHey Hoop - Do you have a picture or directions on how to make this type of mic?

i might give it a go as well- have soldering gun and know how to use it

Vanncad- I'll get something together and put it up.  There were actually some pics when this post originaly went up last year but the pics did not survive the migration.

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: hooper on August 02, 2009, 04:24:49 PM

I fixed it.

https://songcrafters.org/community/post-your-work/one-take-stereo-vocal-and-guitar/msg3912/#msg3912

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

hooper

Thanks for fixing the thread and bringing back the pics, 64 Guitars!
(don't pay any attention to the old man in the pic...)

Vanncad and Guitarron....

Looks like the old article by Pedro that I referenced is gone.  Here is another article that shows how to build a stereo mic using the WM-61A capsules:
http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/technote/micdesigns/index.html
The hardest part is soldering the wires to the capsules.  The capsules are very small, about the size of an 80mg baby aspirin and the spot on the capsule that you must solder to is only a little bigger than the head of a pin. You will need to hold the capsule with something like the alligator clip shown in the article. Will need a soldering iron with a very small tip and may need some vision magnification.   ;)

I bought my WM-61A capsules here:
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/853-microphone-cartridge-6mm-omni-wm-61a.html
Yes, they cost $1.86US each... and if you buy quantity of ten that gets the price down to 1.65 each!  Don't let the small price fool you... these little capsules sound pretty good!  I'm pretty sure that the Micro-BR built-in mic is something very similar, if not exactly the same as one of these.

If you get some capsules you may also be interested in building one of these:
https://songcrafters.org/community/general-discussion-b8/cigar-case-mic/0/

Be advised that these capsules require 2.5V 'plug-in-power' which the Micro-BR can provide to the Line-In/MIC jack.  I do not know if the BR-600 or other models can provide plug-in-power.

Hope that helps and have fun!

Hoop

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

cuthbert

Hey Hooper, thanks for posting these diy microphone articles - I've built my own effects in the past (with the guidance of Craig Anderton's book and my own tinkering), so I have an interest and a soft spot for homemade gear.

Your explanations are fun and interesting, and the demo recordings are truly the icing on the cake.

Most grateful,
cuthbert
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Vanncad

Thanks a lot Hoop! I might give this a try when I get some spare time.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Bluesberry

Remember this brilliance...sheesh what a performance...goosebumps

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SwanSong

agree with all the above. FABULOUS .and great tribute to the beatles , john lennon
ONE take . is all it takes some times. how s that for a pun. lo. enjoyed it immensly
take care NEIL ...................................................................................

Greeny

* BUMP *

Still a thing of wonder