"School Bus" - original by Ted

Started by Ted, November 13, 2010, 08:30:36 PM

Ted

Quote from: Bluesberry on November 14, 2010, 06:45:28 AMYour Tele sounds very cool, very big full production for so few instruments.  Is that you playing with the volume knob and/or tone knob for those swells.

This was supposed to be an acoustic song with some subtle distorted electric guitar. I was surprised at how big it sounded when I started mixing. There are three channels with acoustic guitar: Panned left and center is one take through a stereo chorus. Panned right is another take recorded with the built-in mic on the MBR.

The Tele was recorded dry, and then I added the Wahwah effect in Audacity. I thought it was a little overpowering, so I subdued the volume of the wah effect on the first two verses. Then I ran the wah'd Tele and the dry Tele on different tracks, and bounced them separately adding the MBR's MtlRythm effect. I had no idea what it was going to sound like, but I guess it sounds like fancy volume knob work. It ain't.

Quote from: Kenneth on November 14, 2010, 08:17:48 AMlol! Where did you get the idea for this?

[img align=left]http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/129/s_eb155b29d20544da97d761e18774f1ae.jpg[/img]My friend Rowhistle was driving one day and saw a very hot school bus driver. He wrote the chorus and the first line, and entrusted me with the rest. Once I'd come up with ideas for the verses and bridge, we got input from a couple of other dirty minds (including a school district administrator who prefers to remain uncredited).

It's probably not as Thrash as Ronwhistle intended--which may be why he requested that the song contain a Thrash section. I did my best, not really being a student of the genre.

In the context of this song, it's funny to think of the mental images that come other people when they think of a "school bus driver."

Quote from: Gnasty on November 14, 2010, 08:40:32 AMI forgot to mention that your vocals are incredible Ted.

I wish i had your range and capabilities.

I really, really don't deserve that comment, but thank you. Save that wish for the vocal abilities of someone else. The vocal harmonies (one higher, and one lower) were added simultaneously in real time by my DigiTech Vocalist Live 2. During the bridge and outro, I do falsetto up to a high B all by myself--which I think is an absolute limit for me. That was scary.

Gritter: Klark Kent was Stewart Copeland's project, right? I missed out on that, but I bet I'll like it.

Thanks for listening.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Blooby

Anybody who can make you groove in something other than 4/4 is okay in my book.  What a Hell of a fun listen.

Blooby

Geir

Ted Ted Ted !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is freaking amazing !!! My favourite song of the month !!! And that said keeping in mind all the great stuff that has been posted here lately.

I get a bit of The Who vibe from this, mostly because of the raw energy and rhythm in the guitars. But still this is 100% Ted, just the way we love it !!

piPod? YES YES YES !!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Tony W

Juvenile is my motto. I loved the composition, but most importantly the lyrical content. Very clever and humorous. I'm amazed at what you can do after the recording is done.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Redler

Just a top tune, Ted! Very catchy song with fine harmonies and guitars!!!

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Satchwood

Great fun rockin tune Ted!!   Cool rhythm arrangement and vocals!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Loved it, how do you get drums to do that. Fantastic. I'm gonna play it loud enough to wake the Neighbours I want them to share this.............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

lg

This is very catchy Ted, I've listened three times now and it
went directly into my Forum favorite's Folder!
I'm glad you dicided to post it, it Rox!!!!!

LG

nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

T.C. Elliott

I'll repeat the first comment, 'Wow'
Seriously cool and a favorite of mine from this site. That's saying quite a bit with all the talent running around here.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

SwanSong

HI TED
What a bright and cheerful song. i could picture the old school buses
in the 60 s we rode everyday . going beep beep . very clever catchy
tune. and great vocal.s sorry i use vocals instead of vox. for some reasoni
can get used to saying vox. oh well.this is a definate thumbs up and
superb listen thanks for sharing NEIL