Wilderness Years - Original

Started by Gu Djin, November 03, 2010, 07:42:16 PM

Gu Djin

Wilderness Years
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi all,  Here's a tune I cooked up earlier this week while bemoaning the fact that an ailing tooth has prevented me from completing a couple of songs, one for the DylanFest and the other in another venture that I particularly want to get right.  I've listened to all the songs in the DF and am much impressed, so much so that I'm not sure if my offering will be worth it.  Still the tooth has now been removed and my gums should be healed in a couple of days so we'll see how it goes next week.

In the meantime here is the "Wilderness Years", an instrumental that was born in a land where the metronome and regular 4/4 time have not yet reached.  But I like it for a bit of guitar swagger.

Best regards to all

Leigh
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

Tony W

This is a straight tasty listen Leigh. The mood is just right. I'm minutes from going to bed, and this is a mellow groove, just enough to let my mind float away. Yeah buddy, this has a damn good vibe, almost enough to induce an altered state of consciousness with the music alone.

Excellent.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gu Djin

Wilderness Yearsxx
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Oh bums, it was supposed to be disturbing not mellow.  Then it clicked, Stupid boy posted the wrong version.  So I'll post the proper one now.  Thanks for the listen though Tony - it's not entirely my fault though - I'll plead senility, or insanity - plus I have to do a special version for the player here as it does seem to compress the mp3 sound a little.

Cheers

Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

Geir

Like both versions, but that last one is disturbingly good !!

Love the strange rhythm and creepy sounds in the background !!

It's so almost bad it's damn good !!!!!!!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

i am very drunk and thorougly enjoying this its where i am at,
makes sense 2 me
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

the 2nd one i mean, does anyone understand me i shouldnt post comments in my current thingy
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

I hear dead people, I hear voices, the wind seems to be speaking to me, the lake is calling my name, the river is shouting for me to be careful.  Thats what I am getting from this.  The clouds are singing ever so softly, the trees are whispering at me, the grass under my feet even is screaming from my footsteps.  That what I am hearing here.  Its all alive.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Gu Djin

It sounds to me as though you've worked this one out.  I was trying for picture where the "teller" of the tale had absolutely no control- the disembodied voices talking - but not being understood, all the sounds meshing in.  And even as he spoke his voice frayed into the general disarray.  Am I weird!  Not a question!! 

The mumbles were bit's of holiday greek and spanish with the odd anglo phrase thrown in for good measure.

And I got you Jim and Dave and Geir.  It seems as though you were there right alongside me.

Ted

This brought to mind a very specific image and story to me:

Slumped in an overstuffed chair is a young man, 17 years old and wearing a gray t-shirt. He's playing his guitar in the lobby of a Holiday Inn, passing the time until his parents come down to check out. They're taking forever.

He didn't want to come on this vacation to Washington, DC. His parents certainly weren't going to leave him home alone for a week. They struck a bargain. He could bring his electric guitar as long as he would stay in the hotel room while they went to museums and tourist attractions. The bargain paid off. He'd been practicing, composing, and recording with his Micro BR all week, hardly knowing or caring that he was staying three blocks from the White House, and other points of interest.

Except history and politics didn't interest him. Not in the least. This was a disappointment to his parents, but they were satisfied that his obsession with music could be used to their advantage, for once, and keep him out of trouble.

For the moment he's lost in a chord progression he created this morning, playing it over and over on his cheap ass Les Paul copy guitar with the "Regal" insignia covered over with electrical tape. He listens on headphones, lost in the sound of the chords, delay and reverb. His microrecorder is flat on the coffee table in front of him. He decides to record what he's created so he won't forget it during the five or six hours it'll take to get home.

Out of habit, he selects the GTR+MIC setting, and begins recording. On the couch behind him two men in suits are speaking quietly, unaware that they are part of the ambient backdrop to the young man's new composition.

To be continued...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac