Looking for a good " budget" mic for vocals and acoustic

Started by tom r, November 02, 2010, 05:12:56 PM

tom r

This might be asking too much but here goes I'm after a mic for less than £100 any suggestions?

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

Geir

I paid about half of that for a second-hand Behringer B2 pro. For that price I think it sounds great. But of course it need phantom-power. If you don't have that on any of your gear (the 600 doesn't right?) you might still get a preamp for £40-£50 I guess. And there are a lot of cheep condencermics on the market. I guess you could get a Behringer B1 + a preamp for about £100
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

dwardzala

I use an SM57 for recording acoustic guitar and vocals, with decent results.
Dave

BR-600

Flash Harry

A little more than £100 is the Rode NT1-a. Worth the extra £20 or so in my opinion.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Geir

Quote from: Flash Harry on November 03, 2010, 03:33:22 AMA little more than £100 is the Rode NT1-a. Worth the extra £20 or so in my opinion.
I can agree with that. The low noise and quiality of that one is well worth the extra 20£. But you still need the phantom power, but I guess you can get a good deal on a mic pre-amp in the UK :)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

peterp

I picked up an Apex 435 condenser at Long&McQuade (Canadian music store chain) because they did not have the  Bheringer's I went to look at in stock.

It does need Phantom Power so you either need a seperate power supply or a mixer that can supply the needed voltage to make it do its thing.

It does handle vocals and acoustic guittar much better than my shure sm58 and sm57 mics.

I also picked up a Apex 162 mini stereo condenser (only cost 19$ cdn) that plugs into the MBR.
It needs mini 1.5v phantom power (which the MBR can provide!) haven't tried to use this one yet

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

tom r

I'm using a rode nt3 at the moment I have seen it on sale for £120+ does this sound like a good deal?

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

peterp

In the US the RØDE NT3 is selling at 269$us new, not sure what that converts to in £ .

Can`t find the nt3 model in Canadian shops.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

64Guitars

Quote from: peterp on November 03, 2010, 09:29:22 PMCan`t find the nt3 model in Canadian shops.

http://www.lamusic.ca/Rode-NT3A-p/nt3.htm

$319.00 

Quote from: peterp on November 03, 2010, 09:29:22 PMIn the US the RØDE NT3 is selling at 269$us new, not sure what that converts to in £ .

At today's exchange rate, $269 US is £167.39 or $271.28 CDN.  So, as usual, Canadians get screwed by greedy Canadian retailers and distributors. I think Canadians should buy from American online retailers. Surely the shipping and duty will be less than the unfair $50 difference in price!

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

Stop complaining !!

The cheapest I could find Røde nt3 in Norwegian net-shops was 1951NOK ~208£ ~$336 CDN

That about the same price I'd have to pay for a NT1a with shock-mount, cable & popfilter. (the anniversary deal)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........