Looping

Started by holdempok, October 23, 2008, 10:13:31 AM

holdempok

Can someone point me in the right direction to understand looping.

I understand it to be a chord progression the you can loop to play over and over on a single track? I just don't know how to do it?

Why don't we do it on the road?

hewhoiscalledj

Well, you can loop anything that you've recorded. So for instance, lets say you record a chord progression on track 1. While it is playing back, just hit the A/B button where you want to start the loop, and again to mark the end of the loop. You then get several choices on what to do with that loop so just select "Repeat."

For as long as the A/B message is on the screen, that recording will loop the selected time frame. I use this feature for coming up with melody parts on my guitar over a looped progression. HOpe that helps!

holdempok

so I record let's say achord progression like D, C,G. on track one for 15 seconds.

If I press the ab button it will repaet on that play back for as long as I have the ab button on or will it be recorded to a diferent track?

Flash Harry

the method above will just loop in playback.

You can copy sections of a track and paste them into new areas, so if you had recorded lets say 8 bars of a chord progression, you can copy those 8 bars on one track to a place starting at bar 9, and then to bar 17 etc. That way you have the music recorded on the track.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

hewhoiscalledj

Correct. so to be clear, you have 2 options...

1. loop during playback only. no other recording or additional track is involved. you just have to press the button twice. the first time to indicate the start point of the loop, and the second time to indicate the end point. so you can loop just part of a recording. this is handy for songwriting and also later on for editing/mixing/mastering.

2. you can create a song by copying, say, a verse section, and then pasting that verse section right after itself so the verse is now twice as long. or you can paste it in after your chorus.

just depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

64Guitars

Copying is more accurate than AB Repeat as the latter adds about 0.07 seconds of silence between each iteration of the loop.

This can clearly be seen in the top waveform which was looped using AB Repeat. The bottom waveform was done with track copy and you can see that the loops are much tighter. There's only a very slight glitch between loop iterations which is pretty much inaudible.

AB Repeat may be adequate in some cases. But if you run into trouble with the gap between loop iterations, try track copy instead.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

Clarity as always from 64Guitars.

I bet he has 65 really..... ;D
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

beleg

Quote from: flashharry on October 24, 2008, 02:22:58 AMClarity as always from 64Guitars.

If not we should all buy him the 65th.

holdempok

64Guitars

Quote from: flashharry on October 24, 2008, 02:22:58 AMClarity as always from 64Guitars.

I wish!  But no, I've only 3 guitars (well, 4 if I include my old acoustic with a busted neck) and a bass. The story behind my web moniker is explained in this message.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website