Micro BR = Metal heavy

Started by topsail, October 14, 2008, 08:22:17 AM

BossMicroBRew

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 14, 2008, 11:20:55 AM
Quote from: topsail on October 14, 2008, 08:22:17 AMSeems like the BR is loaded down with a lot of Metal sounds.
That's really not my style and I've been uses only a few of the preloaded effects.
The preset patches are merely provided as a convenience. They demonstrate some of the effects and amp models, and provide a starting point for creating your own patches

Agreed, 'starting point' is a good way to put it. Myself and a couple friends have been searching for some particular sounds that were not necessarily provided in the BR presets. The 'Nashville' sound is definitely cool but we've just started exploring the capabilities of editing and changing the effects. There are definitely some possibilities to create some really cool effects. Time to tinker!

I'd like a cool surf sound too, but does anyone know if there is a rebate for a free Sea Foam Green Strat with purchase of MicroBR? :P
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Greeny

I've been getting a fair bit of use out of Twangstr recently - just a bit brighter and more chime-laden than Nashville

BossMicroBRew

Quote from: Greeny on January 30, 2009, 08:43:06 AMI've been getting a fair bit of use out of Twangstr recently - just a bit brighter and more chime-laden than Nashville

Greeny, We were have a discussion here at work the other day... A couple of us are bound and determined to find a way to use the 'Moonage' effect. Ever messed with that one?! I'm almost afraid to. :D :D
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Bluesberry

64Guitars wrote:
QuoteBetter still, change the amp model from MS(1) to JC-120 or CLEAN (Fender Twin Reverb)
My question is this: does anybody know what all the amp models are really emulating.  If Clean is emulating a Fender Twin Reverb, but what about the rest.  I would like to know this as it will help in my tweeking if I know the amp I am attempting to emulate.  Anyone know this? ???

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: Bluesberry on January 30, 2009, 10:24:18 AMdoes anybody know what all the amp models are really emulating.  If Clean is emulating a Fender Twin Reverb, but what about the rest.  I would like to know this as it will help in my tweeking if I know the amp I am attempting to emulate.  Anyone know this? ???

The following is based on information I found in other BR manuals and documentation and I assume that it applies to all of the BRs.

Preamp Type     Amplifier
JC-120Roland "Jazz Chorus" JC-120
CLEANFender Twin Reverb
CRUNCH???
MATCHMatchless DC-30
VO DRVVOX AC-30TB
BLUES???
BG LEADMESA/Boogie combo amp
MS 1Input 1 on a Marshall 1959 (Plexi)
MS 2Input 2 on a Marshall 1959 (Plexi)
MS 1+2Inputs 1 and 2 on a Marshall 1959 (Plexi)
SLDNSoldano SLO-100
METAL???
METAL D???

I suspect that CRUNCH and BLUES might not be based on any specific amp. My guess is that Roland just invented them in the lab by tweaking various COSM amp model parameters. METAL might be a Peavey EVH 5150 but I'm not certain. It might also be a Roland-invented amp sound.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

Thank you 64Guitars, this is very useful info for me.  I like to know what amp is being modeled when I choose a setting.  This list is going to be taped in my manual.  Thanks again.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Quote from: BossMicroBRew on January 30, 2009, 08:47:48 AM
Quote from: Greeny on January 30, 2009, 08:43:06 AMI've been getting a fair bit of use out of Twangstr recently - just a bit brighter and more chime-laden than Nashville

Greeny, We were have a discussion here at work the other day... A couple of us are bound and determined to find a way to use the 'Moonage' effect. Ever messed with that one?! I'm almost afraid to. :D :D

I love that effect. Along with Tubesock, I use it for weirded-out psychedelic ambience. It's one of those ones probably best used sparingly, but when it fits, it's great. It's a real prog-rock sound  :D

Whatever you do with it will sound spaced-out and trippy, so I guess it just depends on whether you're happy going down that route...