'Bones and All'

Started by Greeny, October 13, 2008, 03:12:58 AM

Greeny

TIM GREEN - Bones and All
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's something I was messing around with at the weekend. Another original 4-track, with a telecaster through the 'Nashville' patch, and a 12-string acoustic through GTR & MIC simulataneously. 

AlchemyMN

Nice tune.  That acoutsic sounds great!

Greeny

It was the first time I've tried using GTR and MIC at the same time. It definitely adds some nice depth.

And it's thanks to this forum, because I'd never have worked that out myself!

Good stuff man.
Yeah I like the sound of that Guitar + Mic track.

You're a really good songwriter.
What are you using for bass?

Greeny

Quote from: Knute on October 13, 2008, 10:04:24 AMGood stuff man.
Yeah I like the sound of that Guitar + Mic track.

You're a really good songwriter.
What are you using for bass?

Thanks!

It's a proper bass being played, but not necessarily properly! I have a Fender Precision copy, and I just add what sounds right to my untrained ear. Sometimes the bassline comes easily, and other times I just have to hang my head in shame and give up  :)

hooper

Nice going again, Tim.  I like the chord changes and melody and of course love the acoustic 12-string sound that you're getting there.  IMHO nothing wrong with the bass line but I do wish the mix had more bottom end. Don't forget that when you Master you have opportunity to boost the low EQ and fortify the bottom end.
What are you monitoring with when you mix?

Good job!   ;)

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.

Greeny

Quote from: hooper on October 13, 2008, 05:15:16 PMNice going again, Tim.  I like the chord changes and melody and of course love the acoustic 12-string sound that you're getting there.  IMHO nothing wrong with the bass line but I do wish the mix had more bottom end. Don't forget that when you Master you have opportunity to boost the low EQ and fortify the bottom end.
What are you monitoring with when you mix?

Good job!   ;)

Thanks!  :)

That's a handy hint for the EQ boosting - it's just one of the many features I haven't played with yet. I'm monitoring through headphones straight out of the BR - so I think I know where you're going with this: what I hear straight out of the unit doesn't always translate into how it will be when people are listening to the mp3 on other devices. There's another issue too: I'm less than confident with my bass playing, so I'm being quite timid with how far I bring it up in the mix. Learning and improving all the time though...

RevHeadRaZ

Nice 1, Great Acoustic sound!!!!!
Dont be shy with ur bass, if u ever have trouble, just follow the root notes of ur chords.... Simple bass is better than no bass.
Keep it Phat 'n' Tasty

Rata-tat-tat

This is really nice... I love the acoustic sound. Really bright and jumps right out at ya!!! You have a great voice too. Keep em commin man... Great stuff.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Bluesberry

Really nice work.  Your sound is very clear, I really like that.  The guitar sounds very good.  I have plugged my seagull into the microBR but haven't liked the sound (too shrill), so I usually just record into the onboard mike so far.  Your guitar sound is perfect.  I will have to try this technique.
  As for Bass, I just bought one a couple of weeks ago.  I know what you are saying, very different than guitar.  What I have found is to not concentrate on scales but think about the chord being played and play the root, fifth and third mainly (can throw in 2 and 6 for flavor), arpeggios of the chord as they are being played sounds pretty good.  Also try to play the bass mainly on the 1 and 3 beat, the 2 and 4 is for the drummer (backbeat).  I have only just started fooling around with it but this seems to work out pretty good IMHO.  Just my "beginners Bass players" opinion.  Your excellent songwriting really is inspiring me, thank you.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand