The secret to recording a very loud band rehearsal

Started by hewhoiscalledj, October 09, 2008, 01:29:34 PM

hewhoiscalledj

Ok, this may seem completely obvious to folks with either a ton of recording experience or at least a better understanding of "insert effects" when using a mic and the MBR. But I have finally figured out how to get the input levels and sensitivity settings just right for recording a VERY loud rehearsal.

I've been using the popular Sony ECM-DS70P Electret Condenser Stereo Microphone that many folks here have found on Ebay for $10. Might be a knock-off, but the one i got works great. Problem was that it was impossible to get the sensitivity and input level low enough without the recording sounding lifeless or having too much clipping (OVER keeps popping up.) I thought the mic was just crappy at first.

But it turns out that my recordings were getting disortion due to the default setting of the INSERT effects (compression, limiter, EQ, etc...) I kept thinking that i had to tweak those just right to get a decent recording. In the end, this does need tweaking, but its WAY better to record the sessions DRY, as in no effects. With either MIC or EXT selected as the input, hit the effects button and just turn them off.

After doing this, i was able to set Sensitivity at -12db and still have my Input level at around 85. For the best sounding recording, you want the input level as high as possible without clipping. Without the INSERT effects on, I was able to capture an amazingly good sound from our band (we play in a garage.) The drums were picked up beautifully, the vocals were crisp and up front and everything sounded peachy. Almost good enough to cut a live album with... well not quite but it seemed that way considering how crappy the previous recorded sessions turned out.

There's still a lot to learn about compression and limiter settings but now I can experiment over the DRY recording until I figure out where all the parameters need to be set (attack, release, threshold, etc...)

If anyone is having problems recording in this type of situation, let me know and I'd be happy to share all that I've learned.

Oldrottenhead

would be nice to hear the results of your recordings
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

hewhoiscalledj

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Prive

The positive side of recording dry is: you can't go wrong, of course you can play bad ;) but if you use the limiter or the compressor or some EQ while you're recording you can't undo it.
Not just for the MBR, in a pro studio when you have to record to an artist you don't know DRY is the only choice, if you know the artist style maybe you can use some things like EQ or limiters or something but to resume the entire topic, DRY is more safe to me, you can use processing at the mastering or mixing.

I hope it helps.

Marcelo.
Music, music and three times music!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

hewhoiscalledj

Uh, now that i have the hang of this MBR, I need help with posting stuff up on the web. Whats the best way to do this? Maybe I should search in the post your work forum...

Greeny

Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on October 23, 2008, 03:41:59 PMUh, now that i have the hang of this MBR, I need help with posting stuff up on the web. Whats the best way to do this? Maybe I should search in the post your work forum...

As long as you have something in an mp3 format, the 'post your work' thread has instructions on how to upload it and add a player to your post.

Would be good to hear the BR in a live band situation  :)

Oldrottenhead

QuoteUh, now that i have the hang of this MBR, I need help with posting stuff up on the web. Whats the best way to do this? Maybe I should search in the post your work forum...
try www.soundclick.com its very easy to use and they have a set template for setting up pages and its free. check out
www.soundclick.com/thebunkbeds for my stuff
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

sleepy_monkey

Got my Sony mic in yesterday...going to record a live show tonight at a great venue, so hopefully it will turn out ok. 

hewhoiscalledj

First off, sorry I havent posted any recordings online yet. I'll have something up soon enough...

But I've realized that I was struggling way to much with getting a distortion-less recording and have discovered that it's much easier to just use dynamic mics in a very loud band situation. The singer has brought in his own PA which left mine open for use as a recording mixer and mic preamps.

Now I have SM-57s and 58s all over the place and connected to my recording mixer and a mixed stereo out connected to the BR with the effects off.

With the added control of the mixer and the high SPL handling of the dynamic mics, digital distortion is a thing of the past. I am much prouder of the newer recordings than i was with the Sony Electet Condensor. I've lost some high end crispness and the stereo seperation/panning needs tweaking, but the overall recording is much more presentable without the distortion / clipping.

I'm in the process of mixing and mastering this weekend's recording so hopefully will have something up for review shortly. Stay tuned.