Guitars you Want!

Started by Greeny, September 24, 2008, 09:56:01 AM

Davo

The more I think about it...the  more I need a jazzmaster.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Saijinn Maas

I'm actually dying to get a hold of this one...

Has EMG 81 (Bridge) /85 (Neck) active pickups. Great for Heavy Rhythm... At least that's what I intend to use it for. ;)

I've just drooled into my keyboard looking at the Gretch, if my computer stops working I shall blame you.  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-800

AndyR

Quote from: Torren61 on February 15, 2010, 11:32:14 AMI'd really like to try a Burns Brian May Red Special and a Fender Jaguar. 

My wife got me a Red Special for Christmas - they're not made/marketed by Burns any more, but "Brian May Guitars".

For a "mid-price" instrument (as in not cheap, but not high-end either), it's a very classy guitar. Through an appropriate amp (I'm using a Vox AC4TV) it's instant Brian May.

My only reservation with it is the bridge. A very nice wilkinson bridge, but it's not like the "real one". You can get an expensive Japanese version of the Red Special that does have the correct arrangement, but it also has an accurate copy of the real one's neck profile - and most of us would feel a little bit uncomfortable playing that  :D

The missus got it for me as a "novelty" guitar, fully expecting me to only play it occassionally. But it is so good that I've had hours of fun out of it :)

You'll find it hard work forcing yourself to play anything other than Queen stuff to start with though!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ted

Quote from: AndyR on March 04, 2010, 06:25:08 AM
Quote from: Torren61 on February 15, 2010, 11:32:14 AMI'd really like to try a Burns Brian May Red Special and a Fender Jaguar. 

My wife got me a Red Special for Christmas - they're not made/marketed by Burns any more, but "Brian May Guitars".

For a "mid-price" instrument (as in not cheap, but not high-end either), it's a very classy guitar. Through an appropriate amp (I'm using a Vox AC4TV) it's instant Brian May.

You'll find it hard work forcing yourself to play anything other than Queen stuff to start with though!!

I must hear you play this guitar!  Pick a backer, and have some fun with it.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Torren61

Yeah, that bridge is really cool.  

I tweak guitars, too.  I have a 1977 Gibson Les Paul.  It started out as a beat up CherryBurst with a rosewood fingerboard.  I ruined that.  

I stripped and sanded it and thinned the neck to a very slim profile.  I installed an ebony fingerboard with pre-ban ivory inlays.  I dyed it black and sanded through that to make it translucent.  I shot it with clear nitrocellulose lacquer.  I left the face and top of the headstock untouched as a nod to the guys who built it in Kalamazoo in '77.

I replaced all of the plastic with Gibson plastic.  I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan Jimmy Page spec HBs and wired it four DPDT pots to coil tap and parralel the HBs.  Later, I replaced them with Skatterbrane Earthbranes and wired them to 1950's specs and installed PIO caps.  I made my own ostrich bone nut.  I installed a custom roller bridge, Gotoh aluminum stop, Q-Parts knobs, Grover locking tuners and Dunlop strap locks.  

Being never satisfied, I decided to refinish it once again.  I dyed it black and shot it with clear nitro.  I had a very hard time with the neck and keeping the paint line right at the inlay so it's not perfect but it is what it is.

Below are three pics.  The CherryBurst isn't my guitar but what it basically looked like before I refinished it.  The translucent guitar is the second incarnation and the black one is what it looks like now.

(You can enlarge these pics and the bottom two will be very detailed.)

AndyR

Quote from: Ted on March 04, 2010, 12:52:32 PM
Quote from: AndyR on March 04, 2010, 06:25:08 AM

I must hear you play this guitar!  Pick a backer, and have some fun with it.

I have been tempted to do a "Tribute To BM" instrumental. One of my patches on my Vox modellor is set permanently to panned delays, you can have hours of fun playing "Brian May guitar spot" solos :D

I might actually record one of those and see what happens - I'm looking for a "no-pressure, not much planning" project to get me back into my MBR!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Trotters

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on March 01, 2010, 02:03:05 AMI'm actually dying to get a hold of this one...

Has EMG 81 (Bridge) /85 (Neck) active pickups. Great for Heavy Rhythm... At least that's what I intend to use it for. ;)

OMG no way!!!Just going to buy the Deluxe version in a few months when I get my paycheck!!!!!!!!!

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: Trotters on March 12, 2010, 03:11:54 AM
Quote from: Saijinn Maas on March 01, 2010, 02:03:05 AMI'm actually dying to get a hold of this one...

OMG no way!!!Just going to buy the Deluxe version in a few months when I get my paycheck!!!!!!!!!

Oooooh... The deluxe are nice. Love the inlays. AND it comes in white! But I like the red too. The wife won't let me spend THAT much, so the MH will have to do :P

(Hmm... it USED to come in white. Don't see the white one anywhere now.)

bannybassman

Ok, here are a couple of basses I am dying to get my hands on:

Firstly, this four string shuker uberhorn bass...

And also this dingwall combustion 5 string. The bass strings are longer that the higher ones, to compensate for this the frets are splayed, as you can see in the picture...

"A guitarist spends half his life tuning, and the other half playing out of tune"