Guitars you Want!

Started by Greeny, September 24, 2008, 09:56:01 AM

Greeny

Quote from: Bluesberry on November 01, 2009, 07:31:37 PMThats the one I have Blooby, right down to the finish (I took the pick guard off, it is just beautiful), like I said before, I don't play it all the time, but when I do pull it out I am rewarded big time, and the tone, so thick and sweet. I really love mine and do not ever regret getting it.

Just took the silly little pickguard off my Hofner verythin semi thanks to this post, BB! I'd never thought of it before, but it looks great! Thanks... lol

Bluesberry

I never was a fan of those raised pickguards that move around when you put your fingers down on it ( I always play with my pinky planted), get them off.  Pickguards on gibson style guitars don't seem to appeal to me, fine on the flat profile guitars like Fenders.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

robsmith

A friend of my Father-in laws wanted to get rid of this '56 ES-125 ...

I  took one look and had to have it.  How much? I asked. He said "Oh, just give me what I paid for it, $500.00 ...  Need I say more?  Recently had a complete refret, it plays and sounds as good as it looks. Cool 50's vibe!  It's the one in the middle, the other two guitars are a Martin D15 and a Seagull Entourage Rustic (Mini-Jumbo).

rob

Bluesberry

$500 for a '56 ES-125!!! Holy crapper man, that is incredible.  Original P-90!!!??? What a steal, you hang on to that guitar forever.  That is a great story.  I also like your Seagull, I have 2 seagulls and love them both.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: Davo on November 03, 2009, 01:58:41 AM
Quote from: Pigfarmer Jr on November 01, 2009, 08:42:39 PMThat sure is a nice looking guitar. But it don't compare to the golden rocket. Okay, I jest. Each of us has our own guitar-grail.

I've been playing a friend's American Standard Strat through my RI Super Reverb and it sounds FANTASTIC!!!  But he's got an ordinary looking strat. I'm debating now on saving the cash for a used American Standard.. but I think the Creston has all my G.A.S. synapses busy. And it's more expensive to boot *pout*
I really want an SR!

I Love and I mean LOVE my Re-issue Super Reverb... BUT... it probably isn't the best amp for me.  I've been having a conversation with Brian Henneman (Guitar slinger/singer for the Bottle Rockets) about smaller amps you can mic vs loud amps that are too loud on stage. Even if you mic them for very big venues it doesn't work that well.

the problem? I practice with the amp on 4. It's a just barely dirty almost clean tone, which actually works for the songs we are playing. Roll off the volume just a hair and it is totally clean. It's not as bright as I'd expect a strat into amp to be. Then I use a BluesbreakerII pedal for either overdrive (normally) or if I can turn the amp up I'll use it as a boost to get louder for solos and just use the guitar into amp for the dirty sound. Which at about 8 is awesome but way too friggin loud.

I honestly thought about selling this amp several times. But it sounds so friggin good when you can dial it in. My live songwriting partner (meaning in town, in person vs on the 'net) and I have a bassist and a drummer coming over again Friday. It looks like the band might be forming. So far I'm loving this amp, but it does have it's drawbacks.

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Davo

Quote from: Pigfarmer Jr on November 03, 2009, 06:28:21 PM
Quote from: Davo on November 03, 2009, 01:58:41 AM
Quote from: Pigfarmer Jr on November 01, 2009, 08:42:39 PMThat sure is a nice looking guitar. But it don't compare to the golden rocket. Okay, I jest. Each of us has our own guitar-grail.

I've been playing a friend's American Standard Strat through my RI Super Reverb and it sounds FANTASTIC!!!  But he's got an ordinary looking strat. I'm debating now on saving the cash for a used American Standard.. but I think the Creston has all my G.A.S. synapses busy. And it's more expensive to boot *pout*
I really want an SR!

I Love and I mean LOVE my Re-issue Super Reverb... BUT... it probably isn't the best amp for me.  I've been having a conversation with Brian Henneman (Guitar slinger/singer for the Bottle Rockets) about smaller amps you can mic vs loud amps that are too loud on stage. Even if you mic them for very big venues it doesn't work that well.

the problem? I practice with the amp on 4. It's a just barely dirty almost clean tone, which actually works for the songs we are playing. Roll off the volume just a hair and it is totally clean. It's not as bright as I'd expect a strat into amp to be. Then I use a BluesbreakerII pedal for either overdrive (normally) or if I can turn the amp up I'll use it as a boost to get louder for solos and just use the guitar into amp for the dirty sound. Which at about 8 is awesome but way too friggin loud.

I honestly thought about selling this amp several times. But it sounds so friggin good when you can dial it in. My live songwriting partner (meaning in town, in person vs on the 'net) and I have a bassist and a drummer coming over again Friday. It looks like the band might be forming. So far I'm loving this amp, but it does have it's drawbacks.

Ever consider an attenuator?  You can find used ones for 50 bucks if you shop around.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Davo

Quote from: robsmith on November 03, 2009, 01:06:48 PMA friend of my Father-in laws wanted to get rid of this '56 ES-125 ...

I  took one look and had to have it.  How much? I asked. He said "Oh, just give me what I paid for it, $500.00 ...  Need I say more?  Recently had a complete refret, it plays and sounds as good as it looks. Cool 50's vibe!  It's the one in the middle, the other two guitars are a Martin D15 and a Seagull Entourage Rustic (Mini-Jumbo).

rob

You are killing me!  Great score.   I kinda have the "b-movie" version of your score going on.

I got a friends early 60's Harmony archtop-it has a p90 a p90 under at the neck, and volume and tone controls.  Its very sweet sounding.  Some of the binding has come loose, Im gonn have to figure out how to repair it.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: Davo on November 03, 2009, 08:09:45 PMEver consider an attenuator?  You can find used ones for 50 bucks if you shop around.

Yes in fact. Eric "Roscoe" Ambel had some suggestions. The problem is finding a 2ohm attenuator for the darn thing. You may know Roscoe as a record producer or the guy that played the cool guitar lick in Joan Jett's "I Love Rock & Roll"

I've not ruled it out but I've not put the money down on one yet either. I have a Peavey delta blues that I like and will take as a back up to our first few gigs. I've had the amp a long time but haven't played out with it in a few years. Will just play with it and see what's up.

Thanks for the suggestion.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

fenderbender

hi all -just had alook at all the mouthwatering goodies that santa claus might be bringing  to some of you people -
so you know the rules

you'd better watch out
you'd better be good
------
;D ;D ;D ;D
-----------
I have a query -im sure its been covered over and over again -but I havent come across it -
so if theres a link -thanks in advance -

ive used a strat for years -but ive never bothered about tone controls -I leave them full on and set the tone on my amp--
I know im missing out big time on sounds -
Im using a mex at the moment --
so hints and tips are welcome-please -
thanks
tommy
so I
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Groundy

More like the guitar I didnt want, or I suppose I did then because I knew no difference, MY first guitar bought for me was a " Rossetti" cut away in white, it really looked the part compared to the spanish style ones in the shop But the action was about an inch high if you played it for an hour your fingers would bleed.        Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs