Guitars you Want!

Started by Greeny, September 24, 2008, 09:56:01 AM

Greeny

And this SG whilst I'm at it... !

Bluesberry

Howdy good people, Firstly thanks for the great site, I am glad to have found it.

Here is my take on how many guitars I have/need.  I finally started playing guitar two years ago (I'm 43) by dragging my brothers two guitars out of the closet and finally learning to play (a cheap Yamaha acoustic and a Martin Stinger Telecaster copy- both from the mid 80's).  Since then I have slowly acquired two Seagull acoustics ( a low end S6 and a high end Artist 'Peppino' Cutaway which plays like a dream), an 07 Les Paul Classic (slim neck) and my latest is an 08 American Strat.  And I am just playing for myself at home, I am just a beginner guitarist who plays in my dining room.  I love each of these guitars and play them all at different times.  The first two have been tuned Open and are ready for when I feel like practicing slide with acoustic or electric.  The cheaper Seagull is the one that sits in a stand in the corner of my dining room that I grab for a quick 5 minutes before supper , etc.  The Peppino Seagull if my main acoustic, I am trying to learn fingerstyle and this is perfect for that, it sounds incredible and I love playing it.  The Les Paul sounds incredible out of my Epiphone Valve JR 5W on a Saturday Night when my Wife works and I can crank it.  The sound of the Les Paul into a Tube amp (even just 5 Watts) just cuts through you when you pull up on a string, and for 'woman tone', wow.  The Strat is perfect and buying this beauty has taken my playing to a whole new level.  I cant put it down.  I a beginner who is interested in all kinds of guitar styles, acoustic, folk, fingerstyle, acoustic blues, slide, electric blues, electric folk (like Neil Young), etc and I find each of my guitars is good for a certain type of thing, so I go back and forth on all these guitars and try to learn as much as I can of all the styles.  I find this way I don't get too bored with any one style.  I find if I just play electric blues for a few weeks, I start to feel stale with it, so I switch over to one of the other guitars and work on other styles.  In this way I am continuously motivated, and inspired.  Every guitar that I have bought has improved my overall playing and enjoyment so they were all worth it.  But then again I am addicted to playing and learning guitar.  I Still would like to get an ES-335, and a proper Telecaster, and a bigger tube amp... but for now I have promised my wife that I will stop buying any more guitars for now.  But I sure am glad to have the 6 that I currently own and I actually play all of them on a regular basis.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

I haven't had time to play or record lately, but I can still dream...of this!

Peace.

Blooby

64Guitars

Love that Gretsch and SG (although, I prefer the classic cherry finish for an SG). But owning lots of guitars would require lots of money (which I lack), and space to leave them out where they're ready to play (they're not much good to me packed away in a closet). That's why I want one of these instead:

The Roland VG-99 V-Guitar system models classic guitars such as Les Paul (Standard and Junior), Stratocaster, Telecaster, Danelectro, Rickenbacker 360, Gibson ES-335, Gibson L-4, Martin D-28 and 000-28, Gibson J-45 and B-25, Guild D-40, 12-string, and nylon string guitar. It also models bass guitars (Fender Jazz and Precision), Dobro, banjo, sitar, organ, and several guitar synths, including a full implementation of the Roland GR-300. And it has two separate channels so you can play any two guitar models at the same time from a single guitar. Plus alternate tunings so, for example, you could instantly switch to Open G or DADGAD tuning without re-tuning your guitar! If that's not enough, it also includes, not one, but two full COSM effects channels, each with many more effects and amp/speaker models than any of the BRs. And it has a built-in pitch-to-midi converter so you can play your keyboard synth from your guitar instead of the keys.

At $1,295.00 US, it's not cheap, but well worth the money considering all it can do. And it's a lot cheaper than buying all those guitars.

Check out the video demos here:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/VG-99/demos.html

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

AlchemyMN

Sign me up for that Gretsch - but make it orange...  ;)

I thought the Line 6 Variax was one solution to the space issue, but after a weekend with one it didn't feel right and was set up horribly so I went back to guitars that have the look, feel, and sound.

Greeny

Quote from: AlchemyMN on September 24, 2008, 10:12:41 PMSign me up for that Gretsch - but make it orange...  ;)

I thought the Line 6 Variax was one solution to the space issue, but after a weekend with one it didn't feel right and was set up horribly so I went back to guitars that have the look, feel, and sound.

I always wondered about the Variax - and always thought that a digital sound-alike could never match up to the real thing. The most tempting thing for me on them was a sitar model - exactly what my 60's psychedelic inclinations need!

Same goes for the new Gibson self-tuning 'robot' guitars - they sound great in theory, but probably suck some of the spirit and fun out of things.

p.s. I'd take a Gretsch in pretty much any colour I could get!!!!

Greeny

Quote from: 64Guitars on September 24, 2008, 03:01:53 PMAt $1,295.00 US, it's not cheap, but well worth the money considering all it can do. And it's a lot cheaper than buying all those guitars.

That's one tasty bit of kit! We can but dream... !

guitarron

Quote from: AlchemyMN on September 24, 2008, 10:12:41 PMSign me up for that Gretsch - but make it orange...  ;)

i bought a Variax 300 online-(only guitar i ever bought sight unseen) for $299 when they were blowing them out about a year ago
The 300 has the same guts as the more expensive models but had a chincy neck.
After much futzing with it, it plays decent and honestly some of the emulations are really very good. I especially like the gibson super 400 and es 335 because i didn't want to buy a $3000 plus guitar-
it's not my go to guitar for sure-but for the price there a lot of useful tones in it.

Then i saw Godin come out with big archtop made of cherry for about 600 bucks-i havent heard on yet, but it's got my attention.
the cherry sounds good in my seagull 12 string, but i dont know if it will get that deep woody tone you look for in a jazz box

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: AlchemyMN on September 24, 2008, 10:12:41 PMI thought the Line 6 Variax was one solution to the space issue, but after a weekend with one it didn't feel right and was set up horribly so I went back to guitars that have the look, feel, and sound.

One of the nice things about the Roland VG-99 is that you can use it with any guitar you like, provided it has a hexaphonic pickup or you add the Roland GK-3 or similar pickup to your existing guitar. I already have a Godin xtSA which I love, and it has the hexaphonic pickup (RMC piezo) built-in. I just need to find $1300 so I can buy a VG-99.   :(
recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig