'Wounded Souls' - In need of some bass...

Started by Greeny, September 22, 2008, 02:50:16 AM

Greeny

02_TIM GREEN - Wounded Souls
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Could do with some nice bottom end bass lines on this one (previously on the 'post your work' thread)....

Quote from: LesPaulGoldTop on September 17, 2008, 06:53:19 AMAnother of my old compositions re-worked on the BR (and mixed and mastered on the train this morning!).

All done in 4 tracks only, with the combined acoustic guitar and backing vocals recorded through the in-built mic. I used two guitar effect patches: 'Nashville' for the rhythm, and 'Smoothlead' for the lead licks and solo. Both were done on my Hofner verythin archtop.

I'm very happy with how this song translated on the BR. Just another reason why this little box of tricks continues to inspire and amaze...

Flash Harry

I would love to have an input on this. why is it earning a crust gets in the way. I think I'd have trouble if I brought my bass in so I will have to wait until I get home this evening.

I'll listen to it all day and see if I can get the ideas erady for when I get in.

Nice piece. I am thinking deep rich bass just to plant it firmly. Do you agree?

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Quote from: flashharry on September 22, 2008, 03:08:49 AMI am thinking deep rich bass just to plant it firmly. Do you agree?

Yep - that's it exactly!

If I could play bass well enough myself, I'd be going for the melodic, looping basslines that Macca plays on 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'.

I like the quiet start though - so I think the bass should come in with the cymbals (the 'more you give, the more you hurt bit'), and then leave the quiet ending as it is.

Flash Harry

- Kurt Vonnegut.

Flash Harry

Wounded Souls inc Bass
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Something like this?

Cheers

Harry
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Nice work Harry!  :)

I really appreciate your time and effort - and the fact that this forum opens up all kinds of collaboration opportunities!

Many thanks!

Tim

Flash Harry

Cheers Tim.

Have you got other ideas for this? Would you like it changing?

Harry
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Quote from: flashharry on September 23, 2008, 03:26:23 PMCheers Tim.

Have you got other ideas for this? Would you like it changing?

Harry

It's got me thinking there's scope for quite a bit of tinkering. It sounds a bit empty without bass at the start now, so it might find improvement with a few bass notes there. And maybe some synth strings swelling up at the chorus...

I'll do some more thinking... !

Flash Harry

Tim

I'll tidy up the bass over the weekend, I didn't have long to play around with it the other evening and it was a bit rushed and fumbly which in hindsight was a mistake. It was my eagerness to join in since I'm so new.

Your guitar tracks are quite full and moving all the time. There is loads of interest there. I tried putting running bass lines behind it but it became too busy and cluttered.

I like the openness of the first phrases, they set the tone and feel of the whole song.
I'm wondering if it could become slightly more rocky in the middle sections with more of a crescendo towards the end of the middle phrases, before returning to the simple open guitar and voice at the end. It's a suggestion but it's your work and you know what you want out of it.

I really do love what you have done here. If I am getting in the way just tell me to bugger off. I wont be offended.

Cheers

Harry
- Kurt Vonnegut.