Br-900 Drum Editor

Started by The Gobi Desert Canoe Club, July 22, 2010, 08:29:19 AM

Hi Guys, I'm full of wants this week. Do we have on this site a video tutorial on how to use the downloadable drum editor or even a link to a youtube video. I have the hard copy but I'm a bit monkey see monkey do. Tony Houstons tutorials on the 600 helped me enormously to get started and this would be the next step.............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Further to my last begging letter, is it possible to monitor a song recorded on a BR-900 and add drums whilst listening to the recording  ???     Regards Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

I haven't seen any tutorial videos for the BR Rhythm Editor but this demo video might help.

This topic might help too:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=5706.0

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Thanks 64g, will check it out when I get home this evening. The pointers are much appreciated..........Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: Willie Wendon on July 22, 2010, 09:25:48 AMFurther to my last begging letter, is it possible to monitor a song recorded on a BR-900 and add drums whilst listening to the recording  ???     Regards Willie

No. You have to record your song to the built-in metronome (or a pattern) to provide a reference tempo, then make notes of the measures where changes occur in your song (verses, chorus, bridge, intro, ending, etc).

For example:
Starting
SectionMeasure
-------------------
Count-in
Intro
Verse 1
Chorus 1
Verse 2
Bridge
Chorus 2         
Verse 3
Chorus 3
Ending

Once you have this information written down, you can start creating your arrangement. Just be sure to use the same tempo that the metronome was set to when you recorded your tracks.

The starting measures of each step in your arrangement will be relative to the starting measures of the various sections of your song which you've written down in a table similar to the one above. For example, if you want to add a fill at the end of the first chorus, refer to the table above and you'll see that the chorus starts at measure 12 and Verse 2 starts at measure 20. So you'd want to set the starting measure of your fill to measure 19 in your arrangement.

Instead of recording to the metronome, many people like to record to a drum pattern. It serves the same purpose as the metronome but gives a better feel while recording your tracks. Either way, you're recording your tracks to a reference tempo at a fixed BPM so that later, when you create your drum arrangement, you can align the various fills and pattern changes with specific measures in the song.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Once again many thanks for your help, plenty of food for thought and a whole new world of experimentation. Interestingly it probably highlights the fact that individual members of bands/groups have no real idea what the other members of the unit do. As a guitarist the world of drumming is a mystery, I know what I like or don't like but that's as far as it goes. Using MBR's etc. probably produces a far more knowledgeable and rounded musician.  Regards......Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800