DaSilvaSings Serge Gainsborough's "Anamour"

Started by dasilvasings, May 27, 2010, 08:16:55 AM

dasilvasings

MOPUS 3_Anamour_rev01
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi to all,
Here's another cover with the BR600, DSS made last year. It is one of his favourite songs, and if you never heard it, I advise you to check it out!

On this version:
Vocals (in french!)
Standard BR600 drums (with a little reverb)
The bassline was done with a fender jazz DI, and then equalized with, perhaps, too much gain in the low frequencies. It fills the song, but it hurts the ears. And perhaps some speakers... DSS likes bass, so he let it stay like that.
DSS wanted an hammond to make the chords. There was no hammond, so he used an old yamaha DJX II, with an organ preset with the DJX flanger on. Then the signal was fed into a behringer BASS VAMP with the rotary effect on. It doesn't sound like an hammond at all. But DSS was not troubled with it.
Finally, DSS new toy at the time was a microkorg, and you will hear it further on playing an improvised melody on the top. It uses a microkorg preset I don't remember, but it is some sort of triangled shaped wave.

All these lines written, and not a single argument for you to listen. So I present you three:

1. my girlfriend sneezing at 26''
2. change of mastering preset with an interesting result (check from 2' to the end) - I simply stopped the mastering, changed the preset, and continued mastering. I think it was a good way to end the song.
3. if your earwax has become solid and crispy, the song's bassline is ideal to melt it. It then gets easier to clean your ears, provided you don't get deaf. DSS worries with personal hygiene!

So... Nevermind the bollocks, here's DaSilvaSings
recorder
Boss Micro BR

lg

Incredible! I love it!
But, I can't understand a word....LOL

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

tafka

i'm with LG ahh well 1 language only...
but the musc shines thu.....
and if the sun should fail to rise against my
shoulders one last time...

SwanSong

love the organ sound but i agree also with above.
for all who may not know my daughter know s french
as this is a french song . i willl have her translate song
when she gets back from ital y next month she lived
in france for 2 year.s great music over all though tc NEIL

dasilvasings

Thank you for the comments. I didn't thought you would be curious with the lyrics so I didn't post it. I searched the internet, and I found this site with a translation:

http://whiskeyclone.net/ghost/songinfo.php?songID=163

It refers to a cover made by Beck and Jane Birkin (yes, Beck sings in french, and forgets the words in the middle):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seLS8M3hK-c

The translation is OK, but IMHO it misses the essential: "Anamour" is a made up word for  the "negation of love", or "lovelessness".
So here's the internet translation, with some small changes:

No Boeing on my route
No boat on *my* transatlantic
In vain, I seek the exact door
In vain, I seek the word 'exit'

I sing for the transistors (the radio)
The "tale" of a strange story
Of your transitory "lovelessness"
like a Sleeping Beauty who sleeps

I loved you and I believed
I "would lose myself" (go astray?)
I planted seeds of poppy
On the pavement of "lovelessness"

You know these photos from Asia
That I have taken with 200 ASA (with low light)
Now that you are not here anymore
Their lively colors have faded

I thought I heard the propellers
Of a four-engined plane but alas
It is a ventilator spinning
on the ceiling of the police station

recorder
Boss Micro BR

steelguitar

Love your cover of "l'anamour"!!!
You sings very well these Serge Gainsbourg songs, same "tessiture"
And a very good french accent!!!
Great organ sounds!!!
Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

dasilvasings

Thanks for (both) comments!

I'm a great fan of Serge, he had an amazing career throughout his life, always  very eclectic and very clever.
Oh! I think what you mean with "tessiture" is in fact too much "gauloise caporal" eheheh! I'm joking, I'm a moderate smoker (whatever that means) and those black cigarettes are out of my league!

Cheers!

recorder
Boss Micro BR