My MicroBR opened up

Started by Geir, May 18, 2010, 08:07:23 AM

Geir

I had a scare a few days ago as my MBR was beginning to act strange. Adjusting the volume, the display flickered not showing the usual % info. It was also stopping in the startup showing just
BOSS
MICROBR
and then ..... nothing ... it just stayed there.

Finally I found that there must be something wrong with the PLAY-button as I had to push it really hard to get it to work. Pushing it hard also got me past the opening screen and into normal mode. Puh ...

Well I decided I had to open it up and have a look.  

Here's the pics:

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Geir

and another ..
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Did you find the problem?

I'd carefully inspect all of the solder points to see if any are intermittent. Applying pressure to the Play button might flex the circuit board enough to make an intermittent connection work. If you can find that intermittent connection, you can re-solder it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Geir

I found some dust ..... and some hairs .. one hair was right under the play-button so I was sure I'd found the problem ... I carefully removed any foreign objects and put the box back together ... only to see the same depressing startup screen.  ..... well I waas out of time, heading for my cabin so I put it in my bag and took the tools with me as well. I had a song to finish so I had some recording time and then suddenly ... the mbr was ok ...

hallelujah ! ;D

If the problems reappear I'll study the board more closely ... thanks for the advice 64G.

btw .. images are scaled down 25% and 33%, if anyone need the HiRes images just PM me.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

tom r

Thats a well used MBR! :-)

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

Geir

Quote from: tom r on August 26, 2010, 07:46:36 AMThats a well used MBR! :-)

Tom
It was Tom, it was. Sadly it was stolen from me on my vacation this summer, but thanks to one of my heroes here on Songcrafters, I had a shiny little brick in my mail shortly after.

T, you're the best, I'll have a Guiness waiting for you when you come over !!!

My old mbr actually looked pretty good before I joined this site :D but after a couple houndre songs and some 1000s of tracks it looked like this ;D .......

Ahhhhhhhhh this site is the greatest !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

pjd1

I have resolderd the headphone  output jacks on my MBR twice !! reckon it was the way i was holding the recorder when i was using it , my left hand was pushing the headphone out put jack upwards i think causing the solderd joint on the jack to snap on the PCB , seems to be ok now but i now leave it on a desk with virtually no pick at all !!

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

OsCKilO

Quote from: Geir on August 26, 2010, 08:09:57 AMT, you're the best, I'll have a Guiness waiting for you when you come over !!!

1st Time I have seen this post!!!!

Where was my Guinness!!!??!!!?!?!?

Lol!

When the headphones stopped workin on my MBR, I found that a "Loving Head Butt" solved the problem...

It is like an old car....

Kick it and it starts working....

Like the Juke box in "Happy days"!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Geir

Quote from: OsCKilO on February 01, 2011, 06:09:38 PM
Quote from: Geir on August 26, 2010, 08:09:57 AMT, you're the best, I'll have a Guiness waiting for you when you come over !!!

1st Time I have seen this post!!!!

Where was my Guinness!!!??!!!?!?!?
Damn ... I forgot about that !! Well next time you'll get two then  ;D ;D !!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Geir

Due to one family member (I won't say who ::) ) spilling some brown sticky fluid on the MicroBR I had to open it up again. I didn't notice it until I used it for a quick recoring of a vocal track and it sounded like I'd put the mbr under a pillow.

Well long story short, I opened it up, using Q-tips and a volatile solvent (methylated spirit) cleaned all parts I cold come to. I used some electronic cleaning spray to get the pot's loose (they'd stuck as well). For the protective felt pieces that's over the microphone, I was uncertain what to do. I ended up soaking them in the solvent and for the one outmost one I blew ste solvent out, for the tiny one glued to the condenser I pulled it off and squeezed it on a dry cloth after soaking it. I put it back on, and hopefully the glue still will keep it in place.

I've yet to give it a full-blown test (it's getting late), but preliminary testing is promising.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........