A/B Mastering

Started by Indiana, August 29, 2008, 04:34:46 AM

Indiana

If you have  'A/B Auto' active and try to Master, the only
audio that gets recorded are the measures marked by the A/B. The
rest will be silent, as it's doing a punch-in for the A/B area.

The only use I've come up with is to exclude a count-in measure; but
that can be done by replacing the count-in with a 'break'. Same
thing with the ending, you could set exactly where to end.  Maybe
you can think of something it would be useful for.
<><

Sprocket

Ive been recording my friends' band practices to help me learn more about recording live music with the MBR, Ive been looking to trim the ends of recordings and searching for the answer, but not really knowing what to look for...I think this punch is what I need, and your explanation is just so simple that its gotta work!

[edit]I hope you all dont mind me digging up and responding to the old posts, instead of starting new topics...I need help, but I am actively researching my answers.

Sprocket

Im finding that once youve chosen your A and B you then have a choice of which function to use, this is "AUT"...Im not that familiar much of the punch ins and outs

Sprocket

Darn it!
I set my A and B, recorded it right where I wanted it to start, got silent at the end(it worked!)...put it on MP3 and its dead silent for 3 minutes, nothing.(it didnt work)  ???

So I go back to my song, AB Punch is still displayed on the right...but it wants to start playing at 0:00:00 again...if I hit AB again itll clear my markers and Im left where I started.

What am I missing, this AB thing is killing me, I just cant seem to grasp it *sigh*

Sprocket

Anybody?
What am I doing wrong???

hewhoiscalledj

i've given up on the A/B method for mastering. since i record our entire jam sessions (2-4hrs) onto 1 track, i just cut and paste the sections/songs i want using the TRACK functions and paste them into it's own Vtrack. To repeat, each section/song goes onto it's individual Vtrack within the song. Once I have it all cut up and seperated, I go into mastering mode. I've found this method to be very efficient and fool proof.

You dont have to save each individual Vtrack either. I used to copy and paste, but these days, i just cut and paste to save precious storage space. Once i have each song seperated out, i delete the original recording (only after backing it up of course...)

my advice... lose the A/B method. i dont see the advantage that way. seems to me, that specifying the exact time marker or bar/measure is far more accurate than pressing the A/B button at a specific time.

Greeny

I've given up on the A/B function. It's a real pain to use, and it's frustrated me into defeat. I don't miss it though. I just get everything right first take (yeah... right!), lol.

Glenn Mitchell

Cropping areas out of  Mp3's and Wavs is easy with the free Audacity.
I do use the AB for punch-in recording all the time of course, it's a God-send, but never tried it with mastering.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Geir

I use the A/B all the time both for auto punch-in and for mastering (then I choose REPeat !!!). When I choose A-B from the start of a bar to the start of another I don't think I've ever got problems, but choosing a "random" time don't seem to be the time I specified when listening to the result.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Sprocket

Why do you chose repeat?