Need some help choosing guitar

Started by xicpanad, April 21, 2010, 10:48:22 AM

Greeny

I had a Squier Strat a while back, and I found it a solid and very playable guitar. I read a lot of guitar magazines, and I can tell you that Squier have been getting increasingly good reviews for quality and sound. Another guitar that seems to get universal thumbs-up as a first / beginners guitar is a Yamaha Pacifica.

Depends what sound you want, but my Epiphone Les Paul was pretty cheap and has been a real workhorse over the years.

I would stick with something that has had good reviews from real people, and never ever just choose something because it looks good. Some of the worst guitars drag people in with a pretty finish.

Good luck!

Greeny

If you can stretch your budget a little, you should definitely consider a Japanese FENDER Strat or Tele (the lowest price point of the proper Fender range). They aren't that much more in the scale of things than a top end Squier, and it will last you longer that a really cheap beginners guitar. I have a Jap Fender Tele, and it's going to be a lifelong buddy.

xicpanad

Thanks guys!
Greeny do you know how to see the make of the squier, so I could check hte ones I have in mind? With a little luck, one of them is japanese, who knows?!...
Music is my life, life is my inspiration...

Geir

If you want versatility versatility the HSH setup of meny of the Ibanez guitars are perfect. Ibanez also make some really good budget guitars

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

SteveB

XPD - Don't know your locale or how close you are to a music shop etc, but why not go in and play a few geetars, and see what takes yer fancy?
NEVER be put off by the SHOP assistants in music shops. Some of them are musically pig-ignorant, and YOU are potentially paying THEIR wages.
Squier Strats? Yeah, I've had two + a Squier Strat CV50 (Best guitar I've ever owned bar none). I now have a Made in Mexico Fender Strat which is well the the dough, but I'd trade it immediately for the return of the Squier CV50.
Where are they made? Usually look on the back of the headstock. The last time I looked a lot of Squiers where being produced from Indonesia, and as a previous poster said, it really is down to the individual guitar. So go and play a few and get one, no matter how cheap, which suits you.
There are Forums on the Internet where you can be bored rigid by Musos deliberating this set-up Vs that set-up per guitar. Chas Chandler, the sometime Manager of Jimi Hendrix, wrote one time that Jimi would go into a local music shop (in the UK), take a Strat from the wall, tune it, and then go and play a barnstorming gig with it. (Whether it was set up correctly or not), so beware being bogged down in too much technicalities. Good luck with yer search.  :)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Hi, some great advice out there. I think that over a fairly long career playing in bands/groups of all descriptions the "Strat" will do virtually everything although I had a "Jazzmaster" for a while that I absolutely loved. Gibsons tend to have slightly wider necks, something to think about, (not sure if the Tenson is a faithful copy) hand size might be relevant. I've also bought cheap copies and replaced pickups and machine heads which makes them playable but again the density of the wood makes an enormous difference. I agree with everybody else try it, put it down and go back to it a week later. I could have saved a lot of time and money if I'd listened to that advise. Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Greeny

Quote from: xicpanad on April 22, 2010, 05:30:31 AMThanks guys!
Greeny do you know how to see the make of the squier, so I could check hte ones I have in mind? With a little luck, one of them is japanese, who knows?!...

The Squier Classic Vibe guitars are fairly recent and had some exceptional reviews. I'm quite tempted myself, as I'm thinking about adding a Stratocaster to my collection. This is the Squier Classic vibe 60's Stratocaster I would happily choose for myself....

SteveB

Quote from: Greeny on April 22, 2010, 05:54:12 AMThe Squier Classic Vibe guitars are fairly recent and had some exceptional reviews...

GRY - Stunning guitars. Some people feel they're a bit too light to be viable, but mine was nigh-on perfect. A good buy. Great choice of colour BTW.  :)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

galestermusic

For the money and the sound and I know this wasn't one of the choices the Epiphone LP II has been great, got in on sale at guitar center $129US. That and the Febder Squier Affinity bass is what I've used on All my recordings.

xicpanad

Greeny, that would be a great buy. Shame I don´t have that amount.
About local stores, I only have one here worth the travel, but the owner is such a @#$&!! He is extremelly expensive (almost 40% more on the normal price) and I almost have to pay to try whatever I want. When I found out about the existence of the Micro BR, I asked him if he had one, or maybe something close (multitrack recorder) in the store. Then he shows me a digital voice recorder... that would be nice, for a reporter. I´m not going back there.
Anyway, I´m very thankfull for your advices. I´ll really have to chose between this fender strat or the Tenson LP. Getting more towards the Fender at the moment...
Cheers
Music is my life, life is my inspiration...