Couple of questions regarding the br600

Started by Saijinn Maas, April 20, 2010, 01:38:25 PM

Saijinn Maas

Couple of things have come up that I am wondering if anyone can help with...

1. Is anyone else noticing an excessive amount of noise with any of the inputs? I hear a lot of crackling in the guitar input as well as the MIC 1 and 2 inputs. Is this inherent with the br600, or could something possibly be wrong with mine?

2. With the MBR, I was using my Boss ME-70 for all my effects into the LIN input, but with the BR600, going into the LIN input sounds like crap. Is the LIN input different than the one on the MBR? I've tried going thru the other inputs as well, but they all sound like crap. I made sure effects were off, I tried turning the amp sim off of the ME-70, etc. But I still cannot get any kind of recordable sound on the br600 using the ME-70. Is anyone using a POD or any other effect going to the br600 with good results?

Thanks 

Pete C

I have a BR600 but haven't had any problem with crackling or excessive noise.  I haven't used the LIN input yet as its a 3.5 mm jack and I only have guitar leads.  I have recorded from the headphone output of my modelling amp into the guitar input with the BR600 effects switched off and the sound was very clear.  If you listen to my cover of Whiskey in the Jar the rythym guitar that's panned to the right and the lead guitar were recorded that way with no problems.   
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Saijinn Maas

Hmm   

I guess it could be my cables. Time to get new ones I guess.

I'll try the ME-70 again. Maybe I didn't have something off like I thought I did. :/ 

Thanks

64Guitars

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on April 20, 2010, 01:38:25 PMWith the MBR, I was using my Boss ME-70 for all my effects into the LIN input, but with the BR600, going into the LIN input sounds like crap. Is the LIN input different than the one on the MBR? I've tried going thru the other inputs as well, but they all sound like crap. I made sure effects were off, I tried turning the amp sim off of the ME-70, etc. But I still cannot get any kind of recordable sound on the br600 using the ME-70. Is anyone using a POD or any other effect going to the br600 with good results?

Line In on the BR-600 is essentially the same as the Micro BR except that the BR-600 has no input sensitivity control or "OVER" indicator on its Line In input, so you have to control the input level by adjusting the output level of the ME-70 instead.

Connect the ME-70's "REC OUT/PHONES" jack to the BR-600's Line In using a suitable cable. Note that both of these jacks are stereo so you need a cable with stereo TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) plugs on each end. If you use an ordinary guitar cable, you'll only get the left channel which won't sound right when using stereo effects. Also, you'll need to record to a pair of tracks on the BR-600 to get stereo.

Set the ME70's OUTPUT LEVEL control at 12 o'clock for unity gain. This means that the output level is the same as the input level when all of the ME-70's effects are bypassed. Try recording something on the BR-600. If the recordings are distorted, reduce the ME-70's OUTPUT LEVEL and try again. Note that the ME-70's output level will vary according to the patch. So, if you find a good level on one patch which gives you good recordings on the BR-600 then you switch patches, you may have to adjust the ME-70's OUTPUT LEVEL control again to avoid input distortion in the BR-600. Depending on the patch, you may have to turn the ME-70's OUTPUT LEVEL control way down to get good recordings.

I'm assuming that distortion is what you meant when you said "going into the LIN input sounds like crap". If not, then please be more specific about what's wrong with the sound.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Saijinn Maas

Just so anyone who may have been following this will know what is going on...

Bought new cables and it appears to have fixed, for the mist part, the static and interference problem I was having.

Also... I guess I might have originally stayed away from plugging the ME-70 into the guitar input on the br600. It was a big NO NO with the MBR as nothing sounded good. But as long as you remember to turn off the br600 effects, it sounds good.

64g... It WAS the distortion I was talking about. It was almost like it was way too much and very harsh sounding.

Seems I am good to go now though. I used my ME-70 for the first time recording with the br600 in my new song .