Designing the next Micro BR

Started by 64Guitars, August 26, 2008, 12:06:27 PM

64Guitars

A recent thread about adding track mute capabilities to the Micro BR gave me the idea for this topic.

If you could design the next version of the Micro BR, what features would you add or change?

The only restriction is that the physical size of the unit would have to be the same (or smaller) since that's what makes it a "Micro" BR. If the size increased to accommodate more features, then it would really be more like a BR-600 than a Micro BR. Cost is also a consideration. However, the size restriction will probably keep the price reasonable since there's no room to add a lot of costly controls and such.

So let's hear your ideas. You never know; someone from Roland might see this thread and decide to incorporate some of our ideas into the next Micro BR. It has happened before. Members of the Yahoo VG-8 group compiled a wish list and Roland used many of their ideas to create the VG-99.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Mach

In addition to the mute and/or solo function, which would be a great benefit and time-saver, I believe a parametric EQ would be an effective tool. The EQ chart is a great rule of thumb and although your ears are the best tool you have, a change in EQ can make a big difference in a mix.

I know the MBR already has a 4-Band EQ that is similar to the ones in the Boss drum machines. However, if there was a way to setup a single EQ point with a narrow "Q" and boost it up to about 6db or so, start at the low end around 60 Hz and slowly work your way from 60Hz to about 6 kHz you could hear significant differences on the fly. As you move across the frequency range you will hit some frequencies that are hot, they will resonate, make a note of them and then go back and notch those a little, it will help clean up the sound.

I know this sounds like asking a lot but if you think about it it may be possible on an LCD read-out. It could have a spectrum across the LCD similar to those found in VST plug-ins. Kinda like what the tuner on the MBR looks like but with frequency ranges and gain ranges. It could be controlled by the cursor +/- to select frequency ranges and the value +/- could adjust the gain.

OK I'm dreaming, but with all the functionality that is already crammed inside this little box anything is possible.
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

It would be nice to record two tracks at once along with two headphone outputs.  It would then be a great tool for jamming with somebody.

Bass emulation would be a coup.

A detachable swizzle stick would be nice in case I take up swilling mixed drinks.

A single button that would improve my playing significantly would also be nice.

Blooby

Mach

Quote from: Blooby on August 26, 2008, 04:30:15 PMA single button that would improve my playing significantly would also be nice.

Blooby
Yeah just add one of these to the fx please.
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

SteveG

Blooby

I have one of these already but just realized I reversed the input and output.  Jeez, that explains a lot.  No wonder my playing sucks so bad lately.

Blooby

64Guitars

Quote from: Mach on August 26, 2008, 03:01:00 PMI know the MBR already has a 4-Band EQ that is similar to the ones in the Boss drum machines. However, if there was a way to setup a single EQ point with a narrow "Q" and boost it up to about 6db or so, start at the low end around 60 Hz and slowly work your way from 60Hz to about 6 kHz you could hear significant differences on the fly. As you move across the frequency range you will hit some frequencies that are hot, they will resonate, make a note of them and then go back and notch those a little, it will help clean up the sound.

I think you can already do this to some degree.  Here's how:

1) Set the insert location to MASTER (see page 64 and 65 of the Micro BR manual). This will route the entire mix through the insert effects.
2) Select any preset from the MIC patch bank and disable everything except EQ.
3) Edit the EQ parameters and set the Lo-M Gain to +6. Set the other gains (Low, Hi-M, and High) to 0. Set the Lo-M Q to 16 (narrow).
4) Zero the counter and press [PLAY].
5) Set the Lo-M Freq to 100, then gradually increase it while listening to the song, noting the frequencies where a change is desired.
6) Now you can use the Lo-M and Hi-M sections of the 4-band EQ to reduce up to 2 frequencies while bouncing the mix to a pair of v-tracks.

The range of frequencies is 100Hz to 10kHz (a bit higher than your suggested range of 60Hz to 6kHz) and the adjustment of the frequency is a bit coarse (21 steps), but I think it basically does what you described. If you need to adjust more than two frequencies, then you'd probably be better off doing your EQ on the computer.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: Blooby on August 26, 2008, 04:30:15 PMIt would be nice to record two tracks at once along with two headphone outputs.  It would then be a great tool for jamming with somebody.

You'd probably want a second Guitar input to go with that so you can simultaneously record two electric guitars, or an electric guitar and an electric bass. It might be possible if they can find somewhere to squeeze in another 1/4" jack. Or, maybe they could use the Line In/Mic input with a suitable adapter cable for the second guitar, and a switch to set this Line/Mic/Gtr2 input to high impedance.

It would also be nice to have independent level controls for the two headphone jacks. There's probably not enough room for two separate physical controls, but they could probably allow for separate level adjustment via the display and the VALUE [-][+] buttons.

QuoteBass emulation would be a coup.

Yes. All the other BRs have bass simulation. I don't know why they didn't include it in the Micro BR. It would be quite useful, especially since the Micro BR seems to be aimed at bedroom guitarists, many of whom probably don't own a bass guitar.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: guitarron on August 26, 2008, 07:45:10 PMa touch slider -2 even better

Do you mean fader controls? I think it might be more practical to have four tiny rotary controls instead, as they'd take up less room and allow for instant adjustment of track levels without having to press any buttons. Perhaps thumbwheel controls like the present Input Level and Volume controls but mounted on the top, something like this:

On second thought, they probably can't go there because that's where the battery compartment is located. But that's an engineering problem for Roland to work out. Maybe they could go across the front edge of the Micro BR?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website