Something completely different: 'Complex' - Greeny Original

Started by Greeny, April 13, 2010, 05:26:26 AM

Greeny

03_TIM GREEN_Complex
Time:
0:00
Volume:
emuFest (banner image missing)

I forgot I'd already done an emufest song last year! This is all done on my Yamaha keyboard. Apologies to those who've heard it before  :)

Oldrottenhead

cool tim, throw in some guitar and you could capture a dalek i love you feel.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Really good Tim, really captures the sound.  Funny thing, I have been getting into a little Gary Numan thing lately and was listening to his stuff on the way to work yesterday and then again this morning on the way to work.  And then I find this.  This really reminds me of the whole Gary Numan sound that he had going on.  Just thinking about it right now, he had a song called "Complex" from his album "The Pleasure Principal".  Was this a sorta tribute to Gary Numan.  I don't hear anything frivilous in this at all (just who are these laughing people, don't they realize good music when they hear it?), it is spot on for the sound and vibe.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Quote from: Bluesberry on April 13, 2010, 05:49:31 AMReally good Tim, really captures the sound.  Funny thing, I have been getting into a little Gary Numan thing lately and was listening to his stuff on the way to work this yesterday and then again this morning on the way to work.  And then I find this.  This really reminds me of the whole Gary Numan sound that he had going on.  Just thinking about it right now, he had a song called "Complex" from his album "The Pleasure Principal".  Was this a sorta tribute to Gary Numan.  I don't hear anything frivilous in this at all (just who are these laughing people, don't they realize good music when they hear it?), it is spot on for the sound and vibe.

Ha ha! You are spot on with the Numan reference. Not many people would know that! I did indeed pinch the title from that song - mainly because I was aiming for a bit of his sound (being a big fan...). He had something very special in his music that's not easy to replicate though.

cuthbert

Hi Tim - I enjoyed this one very much. A departure from your usual instrumentation for sure, but still (to my ears, anyway) another top-shelf Greeny song at its core.

I'm a fan of the little consumer keyboards from the Eighties that don't seem to get much respect in the music world - they have a certain purity of sound that you cannot find anywhere else. Sure, nearly all of them are not programmable (except for rhythm tempo and maybe simple effects), but there are some great sounds to be found if you look for them with open ears. They are also among the last of the old analog school of consumer keyboards before manufacturers started using samples, and some of beats on these old-school hooters are killer.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Nelson

Go Greeny Go.
I nice trek down nostalgia road.
And Yes, the complexity of the nature of humans can be astounding, at times.  ::)

_Nelson

By the way I missed the glitches.
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

Gary F

Cool vibe Tim!!! I enjoyed listening!!!
Great lyrics!!!
Gary

Ted

I think the music misdirects the listener into thinking this is a whimsical song--which is a very clever thing to do.

I have an old Yamaha DX-100 (legendary among 80's synthpoppers and talkboxers) that I don't play very often. I love the sounds on it, but I'm often dissatisfied because I'm usually not after synth sounds--I want a realistic accordion, damn it. I'd be smart to sell it, because they sell for more than they're worth.

I think you've single-handedly inspired an electronica fest.  If you have, I'll try my best to get into the spirit, and fire up that mini dinosaur.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

AndyR

This is the sound of my time at Exeter University!

I'm quite surprised how much I enjoyed listening to this - I wasn't very fond of this sort of stuff back then, but a) you've captured the feel/sound and b) it's actually more satisfying than I remember! (Time to log into Spotify, methinks, and start searching for stuff :D)

I can even smell the Organic Chemistry labs - I still get flashbacks of that now and then, and this gave me one (I'm one of the weird people that actually like that smell - so it was a good thing).
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Satchwood

Oh yeah baby, lets have a techno-electronica fest next !!  Very cool Tim!  Cool n Psychedelic sounds ~ a fun listen!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)