Main Menu

I Can't Stand

Started by j.g., April 10, 2010, 06:57:28 AM

j.g.

Thanks for all your comments - glad you liked it. I will obey my manager a bit more in my work !!!
I have only just started playing again after a break of about five years and only had the recording gear since late Jan this year. Trying to get back into the swing of this quickly.
lg - there is nothing wrong with your vocals or playing, and you have an excellent vocalist in your band as well so you have no worries.
It is great to have comments on your songs, but I do need to obey the rule more and put more comments on others. I cannot expect comments on mine if I don't comment on others.

cuthbert

Beautiful song, j.g. - the sincere vocal delivery reminds me a bit of Harry Nilsson, one of my all-time favorite artists.

thanks,
cuth
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

AndyR

This is wonderful stuff JG.

The manager's right I think :D

I love your piano playing. I'm a guitarist but I always wanted to be Freddie Mercury, so piano has always called to me. I go through stages of writing songs that would be better suited to piano, and a few years back I taught myself to play the thing. I managed to get up to a standard where I was fine for songwriting, but not much else apart from the odd overdub on a guitar song maybe.

But I haven't played it at all, or posted anything on here with keyboards, for ages. The piano is across the room from me, gathering dust and eyeing me accusingly even as I type... I think this track has just pushed me over the edge - I might power her up and see where it takes me.

Back to your track though - the vocal and the accompaniment just merge effortlessly. I'm on my second listen now. The strings pad is in just the right place - hardly noticeable as it adds atmosphere, but then pokes its nose up every now and then to add little sparks of interest. And I love how the rhythm section comes in and what it adds to the whole. Actually, that's quite a live and realistic sounding rhythm section, there's some nice little moments/fills that really do sound like a drummer and bassist working together (I can almost see them watching each other and nodding as they're driving the arrangement along :D).

I do find myself wondering what it would sound like with less reverb on the vocal. I'm thinking there might be even more goodness hiding in the performance, but I also suspect that the overall mood captured on this mix might suffer by drying the vocals out a bit.

Glad I heard this one, it's a little gem :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

j.g.

Hi Andy
Thank you for your constructive and comprehensive comments.
I am only just back playing again after a long break. I only got this recording gear in January and still learning. Last night I read how to do better recordings using Audacity. I have put it through the "Normalise" whatsit and it has dropped a bit of the reverb off by the sound of it, anyway it does sound clearer. I will post it here when I find out how to save it as MP3, as it is a wave file at the moment.
Thank you again,
Geoff

T.C. Elliott

I like the mix on this quite a bit. The drums are not too loud and not too busy in the track. I'm currently wondering about how I mix the vocals in my mixes and am wondering would they work just as well a bit lower? I only ask because on some of my demos I fear they are a bit loud. It totally works here, this is not a complaint at all, I'm just wondering how you approach the vox levels in your demos.

Anyway, I enjoyed the song quite a bit. The melody was expressive and overall the track was very contemplative (if that makes sense.)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Jim1970

This is Just Wonderful!!  I got to agree!

JIM
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

djbride

Beautiful song. Nice job on the vocals. I like this with just piano and vox and a little drum in the background. I would like to hear so vocal harmonies in the chorus just to set it apart. Thats just my humble opinion. You have a very nice voice and you sing this song with strong emotion, Very nice work.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1049425

"Rock is dead they say, Long Live Rock, be it dead or alive"    P. Townsend

Satchwood

I too love the piano and vocals on this ~ great love song & melody!!  I think it would make a great sound track or theme song for a television program or movie!  This song conjures up alot of imagery, which would bore everyone and take to long to share ;)  But I really enjoyed the walk down memory lane.....
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

j.g.

Hi,

AndyR mentioned about how the drummer and bass player were well linked so I just had to drop on a video of the drummer who played on this track  ;) ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=aJG9Tol1a0U

He is only three years old ;D

Geoff

Vanncad

WOW J.G.!

Beautiful song and geat mix!

Your piano playing is really nice. The drums and bass fit perfect.

This is a really great song man!
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover