Reverb

Started by Indiana, August 20, 2008, 08:30:46 AM

Indiana

How does the reverb 'tone' parameter change the reverb?  When I adjust it, I don't seem to hear much of a change in sound, if any.
-------

There's a memo under Using reverb effect, section 3 pg72.
Reverb can normally be applied only to the monitored sound (the sound you are hearing).  When bouncing or mastering, you can record the sound with reverb applied.

So, this means the reverb you hear while recording (input reverb) doesn't get recorded with the track?  In which case, if you want the same reverb sound as you heard while recording the input, you would need to set the track reverb to the same setting you used for the input reverb (before you forget). Or am I misreading that?

Also, manual pg 50 says that you can mix an input source along with your bounce-recording.  Now, since it's an input source, does the reverb not get recorded; or, since you are bouncing, does the reverb record, as is suggested in the memo on pg 72? (somewhat tongue in cheek)  ::)

<><

64Guitars

Bounce mode and normal Record mode have different signal paths, which are something like this:

Reverb is a loop effect. In normal Record mode, loop effects come after the record track. So, you'll hear the loop effect in the output, but it isn't recorded to the track.

But in Bounce mode (and Mastering mode), the loop effects come between the source v-tracks and the destination v-tracks, so they will be recorded.

Track reverb sends default to zero, but the input reverb send defaults to 15 when the GTR input is selected. They can be adjusted to any value from 0-100. I believe the BR will automatically set the track reverb send to the same value as the input reverb send when you record. For example, suppose you leave all the tracks at the default 0 and the input at the default 15, then record some guitar on track 1. If you look at the track sends after recording, I think you'll find that track 1 is now set to 15 (the other tracks will still be 0). So, when you do your final bounce, the reverb send of each of the tracks will be set to whatever the input send was at the time you recorded the track. Of course, you can alter the sends of each track before starting the bounce if you wish.

Note: The diagram above is not 100% complete or accurate. It's just a simplified view to illustrate why loop effects are recorded in bounce mode but not in normal record mode.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Indiana

A picture's worth a thousand words; along with your explanation that makes sense  ;D .

tnx
<><

guitarron

ya got to love a flow chart

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Indiana

Quote from: Indiana on August 20, 2008, 08:30:46 AMHow does the reverb 'tone' parameter change the reverb?  When I adjust it, I don't seem to hear much of a change in sound, if any.

Still curious about the tone parameter.
<><

64Guitars

Natural reverberation occurs when sound bounces off the walls, floor, ceiling, and objects in the room. This reflected sound arrives at the listener's ears slightly later than the direct sound, causing a sort of echo. But, because there are many echoes of the original sound all arriving at closely spaced intervals, it's perceived as reverberation rather than discrete echoes.

Surfaces and objects do not reflect all frequencies equally. Smooth, hard surfaces such as glass or tile are good at reflecting high frequencies, while softer, rougher surfaces such as carpet or upholstery tend to absorb high frequencies rather than reflect them. The BR's reverb Tone control allows you to simulate this. It can boost or cut the high frequencies of the reverb signal by up to 12dB. However, it only affects the signal that's sent to the reverb (ie; the reflected sound, not the direct sound). So, if you have the reverb set to 10, for example, you probably won't hear much difference when you turn the Tone control. If you increase the reverb send value (try 100 for maximum effect), you should find that positive Tone values are bright (like in an empty gymnasium or church), while negative Tone values sound more dull (like in your living room, where carpets, drapes, and furniture absorb the high frequencies).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Indiana

Now that's another explanation I can understand.
I'll save that and paste it in the manual  :)

tnx,
rod
<><

beleg

Indiana

QuoteTrack reverb sends default to zero, but the input reverb send defaults to 15 when the GTR input is selected. They can be adjusted to any value from 0-100. I believe the BR will automatically set the track reverb send to the same value as the input reverb send when you record.

I noticed last night that the track reverb was set to the value of the input reverb after recording.  ;)
<><

stevet

Speaking of reverb, this is where the MBR can surely use an upgrade.
The MBR's reverb is not that great.

There needs to be more density.