Legal Question

Started by beleg, August 18, 2008, 11:17:04 AM

beleg

I have a song that starts off with ambient street noise (the song is called, the sound of the city). I recorded it with the micro-BR when I was on the subway one day. Does anyone know if there any legal reason I can not use this recording? (you can help settle an argument I was having at dinner last night) Thanks.

guitarron

it's yours
who could possibly claim it ?

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveG

Which subway? I was there!! I want a cut!!!!

Taken to its extreme that would mean that anybody walking past a movie crew who got caught on camera would be entitled to an extras wages. I would say you are safe.

Greeny

It's safe - because it's completely anonymous. It could be anywhere in the world, and anytime in the last 20 years (at least). Ambience is good (...brings to mind 'Down in a tube station at midnight' by The Jam).

beleg

thanks.   I have never heard that the Jam song, I will have to check it out.

Oldrottenhead

as long as it is a public place, there are no copyright issues. same applies to photos, thats why holiwood starlets snapped topless on the beach cant plead invasion of privacy cos its a public place.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Mach

That's the "key" word..."public"... Look at all the copyrights that have ran out on older music and are free and available to use by anyone for any purpose. They are Public Domain which are not owned or controlled by anyone.
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

SteveG

This reminded me of this amusing piece on trivia....

http://www.unhappybirthday.com/

So next time your kids have a birthday, check out the window in case ASCAP are knocking on your door!

danieldesete

they produced happy birthday at the olympics yesterday, for that jamaican runner. Hope time warner is going to ask royalties !
hou hou ha ha

Oldrottenhead

they will need to be fast to catch him
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann