Connecting digital piano to Boss micro

Started by selujceline, August 14, 2008, 02:15:38 PM

Hi- I need help!
I've just bought a micro BR and the first time i used it I connected my digital piano to line in using a jack and changed input to EXE. It worked perfectly.
Since then I've tried doing exactly the same and the recorder isn't registering that the piano is connected. I've made sure volumes on piano and recorder are both high and made sure the input is the same - can anyone think of any other reason why it might not be working?
Many thanks

TJay

Connect your keyboard to the LINE IN/MIC jack. Then press the INPUT button until LIN flashes. (LIN is the line input.) Then adjust your levels.

optional: create a masterpiece.

TJay

PhilFromIT

Quote from: selujceline on August 14, 2008, 02:15:38 PMHi- I need help!
I've just bought a micro BR and the first time i used it I connected my digital piano to line in using a jack and changed input to EXE. It worked perfectly.
Since then I've tried doing exactly the same and the recorder isn't registering that the piano is connected. I've made sure volumes on piano and recorder are both high and made sure the input is the same - can anyone think of any other reason why it might not be working?
Many thanks

As TJay said, you should really be using the line input instead of EXT. Hit the input button. The "LIN" field should be in upper case letters. If it isn't, hit the TR3 button. The display should read:

gtr | mic | LIN | ext

When an input is enabled, it is in upper case letters, when disabled it is in lower case. Also make sure the input level dial on the right side of the MBR is turned up.

Hope this helps...

-Phil

Thanks guys but still no luck. When I hook up jack from piano to line in and change input to LIN, I then exit and press the cursor left to get to the level meter screen. I start playing the piano but nothing appears on Micro BR level screen. I've made sure all volumes are high. Is it possible that there is a fault in the jack lead? Can you think of any other reason why it's not registering?
As I said before, the first time i tried it, it worked perfectly but since then I haven't been able to connect it properly!
Any help greatly appreciated.

SteveG

Can you plug the lead into an amp to see if it works ok?

yep checked the lead and that seems fine. The internal mic input works and records ok aswell. Just can't seem to work out what the problem is!
Is there anything else I can check?

64Guitars

Quote from: selujceline on August 16, 2008, 02:08:34 PMWhen I hook up jack from piano to line in and change input to LIN, I then exit and press the cursor left to get to the level meter screen. I start playing the piano but nothing appears on Micro BR level screen.

Did you adjust the Input Sensitivity as described on page 29 and page 39 of the Micro BR manual? The Input display should look something like this:

Sns:  0dB Rv: 10
    |gtr|mic|LIN|ext

"Sns" on the top line is the Input Sensitivity which, in this example, is set to 0dB. For the LIN input, the range of possible values are -6dB to +8dB. Use the CURSOR [<][>] buttons to move the cursor to the Input Sensitivity value and adjust as described on page 29 using the VALUE [-][+] buttons.

Press EXIT to return to the Play screen, then press CURSOR [<] several times to get to the Level Meter screen. Adjust the Input Level using the rotary control on the right side of the Micro BR, as described on page 39. As you play the piano, you should see some movement in the IN section of the level meter at the far right.

Are you using the correct type of connection from the piano to the Micro BR? The BR's Line In jack is stereo and requires a stereo phone plug. Your piano may or may not be stereo. If it is mono, use a suitable mono-to-stereo adapter to connect it to the Micro BR's Line In jack.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Thanks - yep changed sensitivity to the max and the piano is definitely stereo so I've just attached 1/4 inch jack to the headphone socket of the piano and plugged the other 1/8 inch end to the line in of micro BR.

Is the micro BR fussy about when you plug in the equipment ie. should you do it before you switch it on or when it has loaded?

At this rate I think I might have to send it back to the manufacturers :(

guitarron

if it is set to LIN and the levels are up on both pieces of gear (being absolutely sure the piano is sending a signal, it should work without any special voodoo-
yes-possibly a bad mbr

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveG

Try it off your stereo or something, see if it works then.