New BR model - the BR-800

Started by 64Guitars, March 24, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

64Guitars

As I've said in the past, I prefer an all-in-one hardware recorder for recording my tracks. However, once all the tracks are recorded, I like to load them into Audacity for final production. There are lots of advantages but a big disadvantage is the mouse-based user interface. I prefer to have real faders and controls. The BR-800 and Cakewalk V-Studio 20 solve this problem nicely, acting as a control surface for the DAW. Although, I don't think they'd work with the current version of Audacity. But they come with Sonar/Guitar Tracks which would probably work just as well. And they might work with other DAWs if configured properly.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Saijinn Maas

I thought after seeing no new announcements at NAMM, that I was safe in purchasing my br600. Now they announce this?! GREAT.

I see quite a few upgrades that may warrant a purchase.

Can Provide Phantom power (input #4)
A real drum machine, hoping that means 3/4, 5/4, 6/8 time signatures here I come!
32gb support is awesome
Comes with an AC adapter
That bigger screen is definitely nice
Can be used as a control interface with DAW (nice)
And that new black casing is wicked cool ;)

Can't wait! Though, I think my wife is not gonna be too happy... heh    "Honey? Guess what I want?!"   ;D

I too look at computers all day,it's called work and and is one of the reasons I am able add posts and try to keep up with what's happening, I'm sure they will put a block on this site soon. Although I  do my best, at the end of the day I find it very hard to look at yet another screen even if it's for pleasure. This is one of the reasons I'm having such great fun with just plugging in the guitar to a recorder and letting rip. As a fairly senior member I've only ever been used to humping gear around and spending a small fortune in demo studio's who never really care what the end product is as long as they're paid, so for the moment the BR900cd is fine for me, I'm still learning. Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

tom r

how much does the 600 cost at the moment?
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: tom r on March 25, 2010, 03:30:57 PMhow much does the 600 cost at the moment?
$350 but some places like Amercian Musical just lowered it to $300.

If you aren't in a hurry, you can find them for even less on eBay. I picked up a brand new one for $225 w/free shipping.

64Guitars

Quote from: tom r on March 25, 2010, 03:30:57 PMhow much does the 600 cost at the moment?

The BR-600 is currently being advertised at £209.00 in the UK and $299 in the US. That doesn't include the PSA power adapter which is an additional £20 UK or $22-$32 US.

The BR-800 is currently being advertised at £339.99 in the UK and $449 in the US. The power adapter is included in the price.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

s.w.goatlips

Shows how isolated Oz is, and how much we get ripped off. A BR600 currently retails here for $599au. (New).
Frustration is my middle name.

pjd1

I was looking at the weekend at maybe upgrading to a newer model of the BR , ihave a Old Br8 and a MBR , so this might be a step in the right direction for me, but i cant cant see an MP3 usability in the list of features and the DAW thing is a learning curve which in not to everyones taste .. see what the reviews have to offer to us ??

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Justin_Case

Quote from: launched on March 24, 2010, 12:59:07 PMYeah, I prefer my MBR because of the compact size, but the dimensions of this particular unit looks appealing to me. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the exact measurements, but it apears to be about the same size as a Dr. Rhythm drum machine. That is compact enough for me.

Size and Weight

Width
    289 mm
    11-7/16 inches
Depth
    184 mm
    7-1/4 inches
Height
    58 mm
    2-5/16 inches
Weight
    890 g