hear mp3 and record in one time?

Started by m16, July 22, 2008, 08:16:21 AM

m16

Hi
I think about buying micro br, but i need to know sure one thing: is possible to hear mp3 song from it and just record vocals inthere? its because i mix instrumental part of my songs on comp so i have mp3 songs without vocals and then i need add them into.
the second thing is: is quality of vocals recorded on built-in mic so high i could use it on real demo (as good as from real studio?), or is better to buy another additional microphone?
the third thing: once i had similar thing in hand, but when i recorded my vocals and mixed em to music on my comp, they very too silent and i almost didnt hear em and when i turned their volume on maximum, their sound turned to horrible and that almost crushed my ears, so - is the volume of the record so high, that i could mix it to standard-volume mp3 songs?
thanks you all very much!!!

SteveG

Quote from: m16 on July 22, 2008, 08:16:21 AMHi
I think about buying micro br, but i need to know sure one thing: is possible to hear mp3 song from it and just record vocals inthere? its because i mix instrumental part of my songs on comp so i have mp3 songs without vocals and then i need add them into.

Yes, you can load the MP3 into a song and add vocals, then mixdown to a new MP3

the second thing is: is quality of vocals recorded on built-in mic so high i could use it on real demo (as good as from real studio?), or is better to buy another additional microphone?

Built in mike is pretty damm good, just check out the songs posted on this site!

the third thing: once i had similar thing in hand, but when i recorded my vocals and mixed em to music on my comp, they very too silent and i almost didnt hear em and when i turned their volume on maximum, their sound turned to horrible and that almost crushed my ears, so - is the volume of the record so high, that i could mix it to standard-volume mp3 songs?

You will have full control over the levels of your vocals in the mix, along with reverb, pan and some very useful effects!

thanks you all very much!!!

m16

ok, now i have it just right in my hand and please tell me, how can i load mp3 into a song? i couldnt find it in manual... THX

SteveG

Connect the MBR to PC via USB, switch it on
At popup, select open folder, or go to My Computer and open MBR there
Open the MP3 folder, drag your MP3 into it
In My Computer, right click on the MBR and select Eject, disconnect MBR

All on MBR now...

Press UTILITY, SNG, NEW, EXE
Press UTILITY, TRK, > , IMP
Select your MP3, use +/_ keys if more than 1 in the folder
Press + to change TR1 to TR12
Press  MEA, If you want a blank space at start, press + twice
Press NEXT then YES

Wait..........

Press TR1, then > 4 times to get to Track Pan
Press TR1 and TR2 at the same time
Press - (with TR1 selected)

This will have put your MP3 onto track 1 and 2 virtual track 1 as a linked stereo track panned hard left and right, so you will hear the stereo effect well in your headphones. You really should sit with the manual a while tho, it is pretty important to understand WHY you are doing some of these steps, but this should get you started :)

Ok guys ... what did I miss? lol.

PhilFromIT

Actually Steve, that was spot on. 

In case you want to read it in the manual it's on page 113 under "Converting Audio Files to Track Data (Track Import)".

SteveG

I wanted to give the manual pages ... but it was in the bedroom where she was sleeping. Not worth the risk!!

PhilFromIT

Quote from: SteveG on July 25, 2008, 12:26:34 AMI wanted to give the manual pages ... but it was in the bedroom where she was sleeping. Not worth the risk!!

Lol, I hear you brother!  :D

64Guitars

Quote from: SteveG on July 25, 2008, 12:26:34 AMI wanted to give the manual pages ... but it was in the bedroom where she was sleeping. Not worth the risk!!

I keep PDF files of all the BR manuals on my computer so I can easily refer to them when replying to messages. You can download the Micro BR manuals here:

http://www.roland.com/manuals/en/index.cfm?SEARCHBY=PrNm&SPRNM=M-BR#List

Manuals for other Boss/Roland products can be downloaded here:

http://www.roland.com/manuals/en/index_alpha.html

By the way, the Micro BR manual available from the link above is the third edition. I'm not sure what's changed but it's 140 pages while the original edition is only 132 pages. I'd suggest that everyone should download the latest edition and use it rather than the original which presumably has errors and omissions.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

tackium

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 25, 2008, 08:14:49 AMBy the way, the Micro BR manual available from the link above is the third edition. I'm not sure what's changed but it's 140 pages while the original edition is only 132 pages. I'd suggest that everyone should download the latest edition and use it rather than the original which presumably has errors and omissions.

Main Diferences are mostly in chapter 3 for using effects:

1. The Note in Page 63 is improved to include situations in
which you loose the temporary changes done to presets you have
not saved.
2. The Memo about the Gain is eliminated.
3. Page 67 now includes the 3 band compressor instructions for the [CMP]
found in the mastering kit (probably because it is also the one accesed in the line or external inputs)
Which is different from the one found in the Guitar FX or MC.

In section 4, using rythm:

4. There are new ilustrations about The pattern mode and arrangement mode, showing the screen.

In section 5, MP3:

5. Miscellaneous notes changed added or deleted.

In section 6, Using USB;

6 Expanded notes, memos, ilustrations and instructions here and there for different systems, Plus
7. A new section about compatibility between BR 900CD/600 song data.

In section 7:

8. miscellaneous memos, ilustrations and instructions added.

In the appendices:

10. Now includes the effects patch list.

That's about it.