Screen Gems

Started by Ferryman_1957, December 31, 2009, 02:28:45 AM

Ferryman_1957

Screen_Gems_NR1
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi all, at last a music post from me! This is not a solo effort, it is my reformed band from my student days. I'm on bass and vox, we also have Thom on guitar and Paul on keys. The three of us played together from 1975 to 1978 while at University. Sadly we don't have a real drummer here - we lost our original drummer in the mists of time (and probably a bizarre gardening accident), and our replacement wasn't available for the studio session, so drums are courtesy of Garageband.

We all live in different parts of the country, so we met up at a studio in Peterborough and laid down three songs, pretty much played live with minimal overdubs. I then got all the individual tracks as .wav files, imported them to the MBR and did all the post processing and mixing on the MBR. This is the first song, Screen Gems. I'd better explain the song, because you might find the words a bit suspect when sung by a bunch of 50 year olds. Screen Gems was written in 1977 and was inspired by what I saw as the exploitation of adolescent girls in the movies around that time (I was thinking primarily of Jodie Foster and Brooke Shields), and how they were aggressively marketed at the male population. It's also about how male priorities change as you go through teenage years, especially when such sexist marketing is pushed at you. I was 19 when I wrote the song, so I hope that explains it......

I would appreciate some feedback on the mix - it may have too much low mids and bass frequencies. It sounds fine on some equipment but on some gear it sounds boomy. Let me know how it sounds to you....

Cheers,

Nigel

PS Happy New Year!!

Flash Harry

Wow! this really does sound like 1977! You're out-clashing the Clash!

The mix sounds pretty good to me Nigel. The Garage Band drums are a nice change to the BR sound. You have to get your drummer organised though. It would be good to hear a fully live sound.

Brilliant stuff.

Oh and a Happy New Year to you too. Did you know that there is a Blue Moon tonight? It's the 13th full moon this year and happens infrequently.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tangled Wires

A lot of energy in this song, and as Flash Harry says, its nice to hear a change from the BR drums.

The mix sounds pretty good to me, maybe a little boomy in parts, but its not overbearing at all.

Great all round musicianship and a really strong vocal.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

mr2kewl

GREAT POST!!!

excellent 70's feel to this song that you guys did, and i think it's way cool that you could get everyone, or a least most of the band back together after such a long time.

i have to say your keyboardist, Paul has a "Deep Purple" or "ELP" feel to his touch.

Nigel, you and your family have a great New Year.

8)
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

Facemask93

Great song guys , congrat's on getting the old band back together , sounded just fine on my monitors , just a wicked effort all round , happy new year to you all.

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

henwrench

Good to hear some Ferryman stuff! What can I say - sounded superb. Very frenetic yet under control. A whole slew of inspirations going on here. Good vocal performance and as you've said of my shit, maybe push 'em up a bit? Great guitar solo. Like a punky early Genesis or something. Ace!

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

Wow....

You Guy Don't F*ck around do ya......!!!!!!!

This is Amazing!!!!!!

Tight and full of energy!!!!!!!!

Your vox is great Nigel!!!!! Per Usual but then some!!!

When you guys play a gig you HAVE to let me know!!!! This is a band I would pay to see!!

Peace

T(Osckilo)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Pine

Mixes always sound boomy on my pc setup...but this did not. Loved the energy and the tight playing. Great retro sound and feel. Cool story about the band reunion and  hats off to you all for your efforts.

Happy New Year Nigel...thanks for all your support and good feedback over the last year.
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Jim1970

Wow what a Jolt of energy this tune has!!!
Sounds great on my end!!!!

Gotta Love the 70's!!
Jim from Jersey
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Cool, and tons of energy - I would have bought this as a 45 single in 1978!

Didn't sound boomy to me, just driving and powerful. I agree with henwrench - bit of a boost to the vocals might improve it. And I think the organ added a nice Stranglers touch to the proceedings.

Great song!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase