Acoustic-Electric Noise/Clipping Issue

Started by Nicole, December 12, 2009, 10:00:01 PM

Hey there! Recently purchased a Micro BR, and the problem that I have is worrisome as I'm not sure if it's a normal occurrence or a defect. The issue is that whenever I plug my acoustic-electric guitar in, and use the Guitar input...there is immediate noise and distortion with clipping and the "Over" light comes on. This is with input and volume levels very low, and happens even if I gently strum one string, The weird thing is that I recorded my acoustic-electric guitar on the BR this way a few times and it sounded fine, but the sound quality seemed to decline after a while and now sounds horrible. I thought I might have damaged the unit, but I plugged my regular electric guitar in and it sounds just fine...it's just the acoustic electric for some reason. I have checked the guitar itself through my amp and it sounds fine.  Oh, and I should mention perhaps that before the sound corruption began, I tried running the acoustic-electric through a Line 6 DL4 Stomp Box and then directly to the BR.  Was this a no-no?  Could I have broken something?  Again, it seemed fine for a few sessions but then went bad.  Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated, as I am wondering if I need to return it. Thanks a lot! (And sorry for being verbose...)

64Guitars

Quote from: Nicole on December 12, 2009, 10:00:01 PMThe issue is that whenever I plug my acoustic-electric guitar in, and use the Guitar input...there is immediate noise and distortion with clipping and the "Over" light comes on.

If the OVER indicator is lighting, you will get clipping. You need to reduce the Input Sensitivity until the OVER indicator no longer lights. See page 29, step 3, and page 39, step 2 of the Micro BR manual. Turning down your guitar's master volume should also stop the OVER indicator from lighting.

If you can't get the OVER indicator to stop lighting, even with the input sensitivity at minimum and your guitar's volume turned down, then the BR may be defective.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Thanks for your response!  Yeah, the input sensitivity is waaay down but I still get immediate noise/distortion, the "over" light comes on and it clips.  I have also tested the acoustic-electric's preamp on other equipment to make sure that wasn't the issue. The weird thing is that my electric guitar sounds just fine when doing the same thing with the BR, so that led me to believe that it wasn't a defect...now I'm not so sure.  Thanks again!   

SteveB

NCE - Is your Micro new or 2nd hand etc? Probs are a good reason for off-loading gear quickly to un-suspecting customers. Have you any internal effect 'on' when trying your ac/el guitar? Running your guitar through an external effects unit shouldn't cause any damage, unless you had everything turned-up to 11 and have been shredding for hours.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Dmann

If your Acoustic's preamp is battery powered then I would check that the battery might need replacing, other than that, could be simply the jack or a broken tip on the guitar cord?

It was purchased new from a reputable (supposedly) store.  I don't play that loudly, so I can't see how I could have blown it up that way.  The noise occurs whether the internal effects are on or off...both sound terrible. I replaced the batteries on everything, checked the guitar jack, and tried two different chords to plug in ... no luck.  Again, very strange that it only occurs with the acoustic-electric.  I guess I'll email Boss product support and see what they say. Otherwise, I will have to return it, I suppose.  Thanks for your input!   

SteveB

NCE - Well you're not alone with this problem. I've NEVER got a decent D.I. sound with my Ac/El. If you can get a decent sound by using an external mike or by using the internal mike, and all other things are ok. I'd stick with that option. But good luck anyway, esp if you're contacting Roland/Boss support.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Glenn Mitchell

I use my acoustic all the time with no problem.
Just to be sure.. by reducing the Input level you DO mean you used the Input and Value buttons to reduce the sensitivity and not just the wheel on the right end of the unit right (Input level)?
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Yes...I have made numerous attempts to reduce all of the input levels...not just using the wheel.  I'm at a loss at this point.  Hoping that the support team might be of help, but who knows.  Otherwise, I love the BR...it's a fantastic little device.  BTW, is the only known way of damaging the unit from using the wrong power adapter?  I'm just curious if there are other big no no's when it comes to it's proper use. 

Mach

Well other than the sensitivity adjustment on the input of the MBR, it might be that your AC/EL guitar just has a hotter signal than the electric. I have an Alvarez AC/EL and it's signal is much hotter & sensitive than the high impedance pick-ups on my Electrics. I have to make several adjustments with it if I record direct.
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR