Which effect should I use to record bass-like sounds using my strat?

Started by IanR, October 25, 2009, 08:09:56 PM

IanR

My music teacher told me that there is a pedal that will lower the tone of my strat by an octave but I can't see that in the list of effects built into the MBR.  Is there one in the list that will do the job, or is there some other tweak that will work?

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

SenhorLampada

I managed that working with one of the last patches (for Bass guitars) and mainly working with the EQ on the guitar! ;)

But I gotta tell you something... this is a quick way to get that bass sound... but it's not the ideal one! I ended up plugging a bass guitar and then recording a new line :)
The string dynamics are too different for both instruments ;)

IanR

Thanks

My problem is of course, that I don't have access to a bass.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

SenhorLampada

Even a friend's one?

I'm taking a look here at the MBR... Let's see if I can get a good effect to help ya! :D

I managed to get a 'good' EQ because I don't have eletric... just acoustic guitar :D But with 3 EQ bands and a 'presence' slider :D

BRB ;)
CHeers

danieldesete

The effect is called octaver, but it's not on the mbr. You can find it on the other recorders. Boss sells a pedal called OC3, but I was told it is not very intuitive... and costs not fare from the price of a second hand squier bass... If at home nobody complains of the number of guitars you already have  ;D
Daniel
hou hou ha ha

Blooby

Whatever harmonizer or octave pedal you get, make sure you can completely dial out the original signal (On some of the Korg units, you can't).  I have a cheapo bass I use, but if I'm traveling, I will bring my Boss pedal.  People have inquired about the bass tones on some of those Boss-related posts I have done.  Chords are out of the question, but if you can play cleanly, there are some good tones to be had.

Blooby

Blooby

Jim1970

I use a Digitech RP350 pedal. It has a Great Bass patch on it.
I use my Gibson Les Paul with it and use the Bass settings on the MBR at the same time for a really great bass sound.

JIM
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

in the past i have done a cheat to get a bass effect by recording my guitar as a bassline importing it into cubase and using the pitchshift application to drop it an octave, im sure most daw software has that facility, not sure if there are any that are free to download that would do that tho.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Glenn Mitchell

The Roland GR20 guitar synth has a bunch of great bass sounds.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Davo

Ian  I have tried the octave pedals out there-but they dont track correctly and sound funny.  So I ended up getting a used squier P-bass on craigslist.  I spent 60 bucks on it-and it has worked out quite well.  If your going to do much recording/songwriting it may be a better investment than an octave pedal.

You also could finger pick the bass lines up near the neck with the tone turned down, neck pup, with raised bass and sub bass eq.  Its no bass but its something.  

BTW-some models of the earliest telecasters had the neck pup set to be very dark and bassy-and the guitarist would simply play the bass line on that pup to mimic a bass.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe