Field recording

Started by I.am, October 18, 2009, 07:16:42 PM

I.am

Greetings...I think this may be a stupid Q, infact I'm sure it is, alas, here goes. How do I just use the BR 600 for recording sounds that aren't generated through the unit itself? I s'pose it be better phrased as : how do I use it for field recording? I gotsta be missing some really simple here as I just can't seem to get it to do it. Danka

dwardzala

I have used the BR-600 to record some jam sessions with a couple of buddies.

Bascially we use the internal mikes and place the unit about 10 feet from "the stage" and presss record - making sure that the levels don't clip.  Using a 1 gig card, we get about 5 hours or so of "stereo" recording that actually doesn't sound too bad.

With nothing plugged into either mic input (in the back), just select mic in put and press the track 1 and track 2 button (not simultaneously) so that they are both lit.  If you wanted you could record just a mono track as well.

You could do the same thing with 2 mics connected to the unit as well again selecting one or two tracks (mono vs. stereo).

Hope this helps.  If you have other questions - fire away.
Dave

BR-600

longjourneyhome

Perhaps first make sure the record mode is set to "Input" - not Bounce or Mastering. Then press the "MIC" button to select the onboard microphones.  Verify you have tracks selected to record. Verify both the Rec Level dial and the Mic 1 level dial are at least mid-way to start.  Verify the track volume and master faders are up. 

As you suspect recording with the onboard mic is pretty straightforward. There's probably just a once-you-see-it-will-be-totally-obvious gotcha that's momentarily tripping you up.

You may also want to check the input insert effect.  When recording full band rehearsals, as dwardzala mentions, I prefer to record the mics inputs dry.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-1600

I.am

Thankyou very much for that advice dward and longjourney. Its appreciated!