price drop for new Micro BR's

Started by hooper, October 12, 2009, 09:59:32 AM

hooper

I see that the prices at Musicians Friend and Sweatwater have dropped from the long-held $230US pricepoint down to $199.  I wonder if this is an indicator that it's sucessor is on the way down the pipeline?   
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.

Justin_Case

Good to see the price drop, but you can ususally find every few weeks a 20% sale at MF or SamAsh.

Davo

Perhaps they are just not "cutting edge" anymore.

I really wish they had a software upgrade availible online-then we could quickly get updates, or get new sounds.

I bet the next generation will-micro recorders are too succesful to not have a next generation.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The MBR is a funny product. It isn't like an iPhone that lots of people use every minute of the day. For those who use it lots there are upgrades that would be good. For most, it is still a pretty complex little gadget.
There aren't many drivers for Boss to upgrade.
For my part it would have to be a pretty substantial change fir me to buy whatver new came out. I simply haven't come close to getting the best out of the current MBR. That said, a quality loop station would be tempting.
Migs
Migs is posting as Migster while on holidays because he can't access his account.

Glenn Mitchell

A USB real time connection that let us use the computer to mix instead of all the button pushing would be cool.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

64Guitars

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on October 14, 2009, 05:36:14 PMA USB real time connection that let us use the computer to mix instead of all the button pushing would be cool.

I'm not a big fan of mixing with a mouse. I need proper faders and other controls.

So, how about a much smaller version of this mixer:

But, instead of an iPod dock, it would have a Micro BR dock. You could record all of your tracks on the Micro BR with all the benefits of its small size that everyone loves. Then, when you're finished recording and it's time to mix, just pop it in the mixer dock and mixdown with real faders, pan and EQ controls, etc. It should have a nice hi-res meter on each track too so you can monitor your levels properly.

Of course, they'd need to keep the price down. Nobody's going to buy a $2000 mixer for their $200 Micro BR. But it shouldn't be hard to make it for a reasonable price. It wouldn't need any input jacks and they could use smaller, less expensive faders like those in the BR-600. And it could have just one rotary control above each fader with a switch that allowed the controls to serve multiple purposes (pan, EQ, reverb send, etc).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Justin_Case

hooper

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 14, 2009, 06:32:24 PMI'm not a big fan of mixing with a mouse. I need proper faders and other controls.

Right...It's so much better to move real faders and knobs with your fingers rather than trying to move virtual ones with a mouse.

The big, big benefit that I wish for tho would be to be able to hook up a BR (maybe a 1600  ~smile~) via USB and be able to do wav form editing on the computer while the actual data still resides on the BR. Wav form editing gives you so much control....

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.

SenhorLampada

Nice idea, Hooper! :)

I don't know how they've built the MBR, but I though someday there would be firmware updates! :)

On this update, I'd like to see:
- User bank Arrangements (not Song bank :D)
- Bigger filenames would be useful (maybe)
- A/B cut and paste (this could be easier than having to export the wavs)
- Full drum editing (almost like in the br-600 :D)

That's about it! Can't remember anything else :D