My output jack is jacked, can it be repaired?

Started by iplayguitars, October 12, 2009, 07:09:23 AM

I've had my Micro for about a year and a half, I use it all the time, it's getting very worn,  most of the finish is gone and it has a lot of scratches.  Now the output jack is cutting in and out and I have to fiddle with it to get it to work. I've tried all my cables, it's the jack itself. Can this be repaired?
thanks  JD

AndyR

I'd be interested in the answer to this - my Line In jack socket is going the same way, I have to make sure everything is rock-solid (lead held down by books/wotever) so that "rocknroll" foot-tapping, or wobbly-keyboard-stand, etc, does not cause drop-out on takes...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

64Guitars

The jacks are inexpensive and should be standard (so pretty easy to find). Anyone who knows how to solder should have no trouble replacing the jack. It might not even need replacing, just re-soldering. The problem with small devices like the Micro BR is taking it apart without breaking it so that you can do the repair, then putting it back together again properly. This may not be something that you want to tackle yourself. If it's still under warranty, why not let Roland repair it? In the UK, Roland offers a three-year warranty on the Micro BR. See http://www.roland.co.uk/articles/default.aspx?a=5. If it's not under warranty, you can still send it to Roland or an authorised repair centre but it might cost you. Phone Roland tech support and ask. They might even be able to recommend a local repair centre you can take it to.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

I just called Roland USA, minimum of 70 bucks.  I'd be better off looking for one on ebay.  64guitars has the right idea, I know I could solder this but opening the case and getting it back together is the bigger problem. I don't know what to do, it's been a great tool.

launched

It sounds like you are in "Nothing to Lose" mode. I would take the risk and open it up. It's one of the easiest cases I've opened. Make sure you take the SD card out, and gently lift the bottom cover after removing the screws.

Even if you can't solder, you may be able to troubleshoot the problem and see if you can get a replacement part. Then a trip to the electronics repair shop, especially with the part (Check with them first, they may have it), may be fairly cheap! Or buy a $10 iron and give it a shot!

No pain, no gain...

Good luck!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

If you decide to open it up and attempt to repair it yourself, please take some digital photos at each step and post them here or on PhotoBucket or some similar image hosting site. They may be useful to other members who are contemplating opening their Micro BR. And they might help you when it's time to put it back together. Although, from Mark's description, it sounds pretty simple.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

I took the liberty of removing the back cover. I was curious to see how the jack was affixed to the circuitboard anyway. Here some instructions:

1. Remove the battery cover, batteries and SD Card. Lay the MBR face down on several sheets of paper or a note pad to protect the screen and buttons. (View 1)

2. Remove the six screws with a small electronics screwdriver. One of them is in the battery compartment under where the SD Card was. Then gently rock the bottom edge of the bottom cover upwards - There are plastic tabs that act as hinges on the top. The cover should separate gently - don't force it. (View 2)

3. The circuitboard should now be exposed - Don't touch anything with your bare fingers to avoid static shock, and don't pry on anything with a screwdriver. (View 3)

4. The jack in question is on the right side under the thumbwheel. Check to see if any of the soldered connections have come loose. Also gently plug your headphones in and wiggle a little bit to see if the case is cracked or coming apart. (View 4)

It's a tight squeeze, but all the connections look to be on the top side, so it looks like it could be repaired without removing the entire board. I don't see local labor being more than 20 bucks or so if you didn't want to do it yourself.

I don't know the names of the large electronic component manufacturers - Can anybody help here? I use a local company and don't buy online.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

View 4

Wow, what horrible photos - Maybe somebody could do a better job? I don't have a real camera...

Mark
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on October 13, 2009, 01:02:54 PMWow, what horrible photos - Maybe somebody could do a better job? I don't have a real camera...

They're not that bad. The last two are a bit blurry but they serve the purpose. Thanks for posting the pics and instructions.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

danieldesete

Quote from: iplayguitars on October 12, 2009, 07:09:23 AMI've had my Micro for about a year and a half, I use it all the time, it's getting very worn,  most of the finish is gone and it has a lot of scratches.  Now the output jack is cutting in and out and I have to fiddle with it to get it to work. I've tried all my cables, it's the jack itself. Can this be repaired?

thanks  JD

I had the same problem last year, and I brought my mbr to the local computer assembler. His "engineer" changed the output jack for me and asked 35 euros for the job. The price to pay when you can't solder. And my mbr is as the first day.
Daniel
hou hou ha ha