Is there a way to make the amp effects louder without increasing distortion?

Started by Capn_Gaz, October 12, 2009, 05:58:54 AM

Capn_Gaz

Hi guys, as you all probably know when you apply the pre-amp effect to guitars and turn the volume up in it then the cheapy "overdriven" distortion increases, which in my opinion doesnt sound very nice when you go past only a the slightest crunch sound.
Does anyone know of any methods of how to increase the volume of a pretty clean amp setting without the fake overdrive kicking in way to heavily?

If anyone knows of any tips I could use that could be great. Cheers,

Gareth

64Guitars

You control the amount of distortion the same way you would on a real amp - by adjusting the gain and volume. Look at pages 71 and 72 of the Micro BR manual. The "Volume" setting is your Gain control. Increasing it increases the distortion. Lowering it reduces the distortion. The "Master" setting controls the overall volume. So, to reduce the distortion, lower the "Volume" setting and increase the "Master" setting to compensate. It also helps to start with a less-distorted amp model such as "CLEAN" (models the Fender Twin Reverb) or "CRUNCH".

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Justin_Case

I find many players don't see the value of control with in the guitar's Volume pots, with the right settings on many guitars it alllows you control of volume, tone and level of distortion.  I most often have the pots set at @ 6-7 and the tone back to 7ish.

He is not everyones cup of tea, but take a look at dynamic player like Buckethead, the man is always tweaking his settings on the guitar to modify his sound...

This is from a show I went to a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAPIYo5_gFg

Davo

I dont like the fizzy digital distortions either-slight eq tweaks, and your guitars volume control will help. Master volume to make what you have louder.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

launched

A: Master Volume is the setting that doesn't affect distortion, at least that's how my experience has been.

B: Buckethead freakin' rules!!!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

H.E.L.Shane

Its funny how many people nowadays don't know how to get distortion out of an amp that doesn't have a "gain" knob!!!!

My first REAL tube amp was a sovteck Mig100    1 channel...

distortion...  crank the volume and back off on the master, you're basically choking the amp and creating havok in the tubes.... 

clean, back off on the volume and adjust the master to suit....

the MBR seems to be modeled after that idea....

However...  I haven't played around with it enough to see if it reacts to the volume knob on the guitar like a tube amp does...

Back in the day i would run the guitar into the amp through BOTH inputs, high and low gain, and then use an A/B box to select which input the guitar was going to.  channel A went to the high gain and was used for AC/DC to full shred in cucuntcion with an overdrive pedal..  side be went straight to the the low gain through a chorus pedal rolling the volume back ont he chorus pedal gave a sweeet clean sound...

i think I'm gonna get another Sovtel off evil bay..  i had some great tones with that setup!
wherever you go...... there you are!!

Davo

To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe