Recording a stereo source direct....

Started by Davo, October 08, 2009, 04:27:18 PM

Davo

So I wanna record a stereo chorus pedal directly to the MBR...the pedal has stereo outputs, how can I record them both to the 1/8 inch in put?
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Oldrottenhead

imperial measurements, i'm metric. you need a wee lead that fits into the line in, the guitar input the big one (excuse my jargon) as far as i understand only takes a mono input (or does it) anyway when i'm using a stereo input i go via the line in and record directly to two tracks. panned full left and right.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

You'd need a Y adapter cable like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP153

Stereo miniature TRS phone plug on one end. Two 1/4" mono phone plugs on the other.

The impedance and sensitivity of the LineIn input probably isn't ideal for a guitar signal though. You might be better off finding a mixer with dual high-impedance inputs for guitar and a line level output for connecting to the BR's LineIn. But there's no harm in trying the cable first, and it's a lot cheaper.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Glenn Mitchell

Hmm that might work for my new guitar synth that puts out stereo too.
It has a line/guitar option so I would use line out.
 Thanks.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Ted

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 08, 2009, 11:17:29 PMYou'd need a Y adapter cable like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP153

Stereo miniature TRS phone plug on one end. Two 1/4" mono phone plugs on the other.

The impedance and sensitivity of the LineIn input probably isn't ideal for a guitar signal though. You might be better off finding a mixer with dual high-impedance inputs for guitar and a line level output for connecting to the BR's LineIn. But there's no harm in trying the cable first, and it's a lot cheaper.

Davo: I've done exactly what you want to do on several recordings with a Y-adapter, and it's worked fine for me.  The one thing to remember is that if you add effects to the stereo tracks after the fact, add them one at a time.  See this.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ferryman_1957

Worked fine for me too. I use a Zoom effects pedal and that worked fine through the Line In.

Cheers,

Nigel

Davo

Thanks for the replies guys-I will be taking a trip to radioshack soon.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe