can someone give me a slap about the head ?

Started by corryhully, October 08, 2009, 04:08:41 AM

Bluesberry

Quote from: fdask on October 12, 2009, 05:30:21 PMWorks great for powering the MBR, but I think I'm having some other issues.  Using a stompbox and the MBR on the adapter together leaves me with some power noise I'm not too happy with.  Still, works great in a pinch if my batteries are about to die.  :)
Thats the reason I've stuck with batteries, keeps the noise down.  The more stuff is plugged in the more the damn noise.  I say, Pull the plug, go batteries.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

upsetminded

Same here.  When I plug in my Korg ax 3000g in with batteries, no noise.  Less to plug, less interference
I'd rather be cool than be loved. - Courtney Taylor

Ted

That's interesting.  I never notice any noise when I'm on the adapter, but I'll have to start listening for it.

I'd expect that you'd be swapping batteries constantly.  Maybe I'll experiment with a compromise, and use the adapter when I'm editing, and batteries when I'm recording, bouncing, or mastering.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

launched

Quote from: Ted on October 13, 2009, 09:53:53 AMThat's interesting.  I never notice any noise when I'm on the adapter, but I'll have to start listening for it.

I'd expect that you'd be swapping batteries constantly.  Maybe I'll experiment with a compromise, and use the adapter when I'm editing, and batteries when I'm recording, bouncing, or mastering.

If I remember correctly, Ted, you have a genuine Boss PSA adapter (Due to the disaster you had). Except for the crappy plasticky cord coming out of it (I hate that), it is a very high quality wall wart. Self regulating as well. Cool as a cucumber when plugged in, until the MBR gets fired up. And not all PSA's are created equal. The one for the MBR should only be a 200ma.

There is a huge science to converted power delivery, and the wrong choice could create more noise to deal with. Extra amperage, inadequate shielding, a house built in the early 1900's with the cloth covered wires, who knows?

Obviously, accessories make a manufacturer the big bucks, but it's just like when you have to buy another pair of ski gloves at the slopes when you forget to bring a pair of your own. You will pay too much at the ski shop, but the quality will be at least satisfactory and you will resultantly be happy with the purchase aside from the price.

And to be on the up and up with the battery thing, I'll have to say that to me batteries for electronic devices = Huge wads of pain and suffering. I hate batteries. Can't understand how you guys get a kazillion hours on a set of AA's...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Davo

Sometimes I go to batteries when recording something important. The noise is worse with pedals than the MBR.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ted

Quote from: launched on October 13, 2009, 03:41:38 PM
Quote from: Ted on October 13, 2009, 09:53:53 AMThat's interesting.  I never notice any noise when I'm on the adapter, but I'll have to start listening for it.

I'd expect that you'd be swapping batteries constantly.  Maybe I'll experiment with a compromise, and use the adapter when I'm editing, and batteries when I'm recording, bouncing, or mastering.

If I remember correctly, Ted, you have a genuine Boss PSA adapter (Due to the disaster you had). Except for the crappy plasticky cord coming out of it (I hate that), it is a very high quality wall wart. Self regulating as well. Cool as a cucumber when plugged in, until the MBR gets fired up.

Since I'm on my second MBR, I actually have two Boss adapters and they aren't exactly the same.  (I bought them both on eBay, and each one came with an adapter from the sellers.)

Now I'm just a little worried.  Is one of these bad for my brick?

PSA 120S
 IN: 100-240V-  50-60Hz
OUT: 9V===0.5A  4.5W

I use this one when I'm not planted in my home studio, because it has a nice long cord.

PSA 120T
 IN: AC 120V  60Hz 9w
OUT: 9.6V     200mA

This one never travels.

This is what the Boss/Roland Web site says the Micro BR needs:

Quote from: http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=818DC 9 V: Supply AC Adaptor (PSA series: sold separately)

Does this mean I'm okay as long as I'm using a "PSA series" adapter?

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

The PSA-120S replaces the original PSA-120T. It's been available for about two years.

See http://www.rolandus.com/corporate/press_media_resources/assets/ACAdaptorGuide.pdf.

Either one can be used with the Micro BR. The PSA-120S is actually a better deal because it's smaller (only covers one outlet on a power bar), has a longer cord (3 meters) and a higher current capacity (500 mA vs PSA-120T's 200 mA). The Micro BR only draws 140 mA, so either PSA adapter can provide more than enough current. But the extra capacity of the PSA-120S means that you could also power a bunch of effects pedals, for example, using a suitable adapter cable like this:

Any PSA-series adapter will work with the BR series recorders. The main difference between the various model numbers in the PSA series is the required input voltage (AC) and the corresponding electrical plug.  The PSA-120T and PSA-120S are for North America where the electrical supply is 120 volts AC. In the UK, the electric supply is 240 volts AC, so they use the PSA-240. In Japan, the electric supply is 100 volts and they use the PSA-100. Germany (230 volts) uses the PSA-230S. And so on...

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

Thanks 64G's - Much better info than I could ever give.

Didn't mean to disturb you Ted - I was actually praising you for using the proper adapters. The red labeled one is the same that I have.

I remember having a different one a long time ago for my Dr. Rhythm drum machine. Maybe not, but I thought it was different.

Anyway, I stand by my statement that you should use the proper adapter, even if the cheap specs fit. If it's a $50 stompbox, fine. But don't hurt your baby (BR Recorder).
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ted

Quote from: launched on October 13, 2009, 10:17:46 PMDidn't mean to disturb you Ted - I was actually praising you for using the proper adapters.

No problem.  You got me thinking that I'd assumed the eBay sellers sent me the appropriate adapters, but I'd never verified.

My extra precaution--that I encourage everyone to do with all their electronics--is to label my adapters near the tip end to reduce the chance that I'll repeat the kind of disaster we're talking about here.

corryhully: If you end up repairing or replacing your Micro BR so that DC power is an option once more, do this:

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

corryhully