Double Tracking and Track Merging Advice

Started by Capn_Gaz, October 05, 2009, 06:16:13 AM

Capn_Gaz

Hi guys, im just quickly wondering if you could help me out.
I've never really recorded myself singing into the Micro BR before until yesterday and not suprisingly I'm not happy with how it sounds (mostly down to my own singing capabilities) but I feel like I need to thicken the sound up and give a big of a boost.
I know double tracking can help but I'm not experienced enough to sing the same thing pretty much exact to sound good - how would I go about double tracking my vocal?
I know I can copy the vocal to another track, but then how much time should I split between them? - Would it be a good idea to do anything else to the double tracked track?
Whilst I think about it, would adding delay with no feedback be close to ADT?

My second problem is I've recorded three seperate guitar tracks leaving the one vocal (so all 4 tracks are taken up) - is it possible to merge two of the three guitar tracks into one, freeing up one of the tracks?

Cheers,

G

Geir

There's some very good advice about thickening the vocals here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=3424.msg34118#msg34118

as to delay between tracks, wait until you've tried the above !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

launched

Yeah, that's a good link, Geir - I use some of those methods all the time.

I also use this info quite a bit,too - It comes from one of your older posts, Capn_Gaz.

And if you find the extra time, double up with two separately recorded tracks per part, panned slightly for the lead vox (5-18LR Depending on preference), and then widen it out for harmony parts, adding around 10 units L&R for each harmony part.Talk about ear candy!

Oh, and sing a lot - Your voice is just another instrument that needs practicing on, too!

Hope that helps,

Mark

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Capn_Gaz

Quote from: launched on October 05, 2009, 11:32:06 AMIt comes from one of your older posts, Capn_Gaz.

Weird, I dont remember leaving that post! Even when having a quick browse before posting this recent post I didnt notice it.

Thanks guys for your replies, I will give them a try tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

G