Bouncing mono track to stereo adding tap delay

Started by deputydog, October 02, 2009, 01:15:58 PM

Would like to know if anyone would like to point me in the best directon for a simple mixdown of vocal and acoustic guitar. I recorded both together on one channel added some reverb and tweeked the mic lowcut patch and added tap delay from that patch and got a real decent sounding mix playing back in stereo. My question is how do I retain this mix when bouncing since you can't add this match to the mastering mix? If I bounce to a single track and then masster into stereo won't I loose the stereo spectrum of the delay? Anyways hopefully you get the idea of my question.
Thanks,deputydog!

Oldrottenhead

bounce to two tracks and pan them full left and right and its all in stereo.
i never bounce to one traack.

if i have four tracks on v1 i bounce to tracks 1 and 2 v2 leaving 3 and 4 v2 to add to then repeat etc. remember to pan full left and right to get stereo
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 02, 2009, 01:43:37 PMbounce to two tracks and pan them full left and right and its all in stereo.
i never bounce to one traack.

if i have four tracks on v1 i bounce to tracks 1 and 2 v2 leaving 3 and 4 v2 to add to then repeat etc. remember to pan full left and right to get stereo

Ok thanks, if I'm understanding you correctly I'm panning the 2 tracks left and right at the time of bounce and not after when going to mastering correct?

Oldrottenhead

not quite, before you bounce get the mix as you want it, levels reverb panning etc, then when you have bounced to two tracks, pan those tracks left and right and it will be identical to how it was set up on 1st 4 tracks.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

ok tracks v1   1 2 3 and 4 are used up. you have them panned and levels etc as you want.

go to bounce mode and select bounce to tracks 1 and 2 v2.

return to playback mode select vtracks 2 for tracks 123and 4. pan tracks 1 and 2 full left. should be same as you had it set up on v1 tracks,  make sure you turnof reverb on tracks 1 and 2. you now have tracks 3 and 4 to add to. when they are full repeat the process to v3 tracks etc
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 02, 2009, 02:16:59 PMok tracks v1   1 2 3 and 4 are used up. you have them panned and levels etc as you want.

go to bounce mode and select bounce to tracks 1 and 2 v2.

return to playback mode select vtracks 2 for tracks 123and 4. pan tracks 1 and 2 full left. should be same as you had it set up on v1 tracks,  make sure you turnof reverb on tracks 1 and 2. you now have tracks 3 and 4 to add to. when they are full repeat the process to v3 tracks etc
not sure if I made myself clear enough with my question. There is only one track I've used that I want to bounce into stereo and utilize the mic preset that I modified and added tap tempo delay. If I bounce this single track to another single track with the stereo effect I would lose the stereo sound would I not? I have to do this before I'm mastering because you can't use this specific effect preset in the mastering mode. So if I'm bouncing the single track with my stereo effect to 2 tracks are those 2 tracks I'm bouncing to panned left and right or do they remain in the center position and panned when I do the final mastering. I'm not adding any more parts, it's strictly a voice and acoustic guitar mix that originates on one track with stereo effect added from the mic effect presets that sounds like it's playing back in stereo to me.

Oldrottenhead

im lost now lol.
but you could record your guitar vox to two tracks. bear with me.

i know it will be mono through the inbuilt mic, but you can assign the effect you where going to use to give it a stereo effect. i often sing to two tracks via the inbuilt mic but us pan delay guitar effect which gives the vox a stereo tap delay effect when you pan tracks left and right. i have never added effects during a bounce so thats out of my territory maybe one for 64guitars.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 02, 2009, 03:55:51 PMim lost now lol.
but you could record your guitar vox to two tracks. bear with me.

i know it will be mono through the inbuilt mic, but you can assign the effect you where going to use to give it a stereo effect. i often sing to two tracks via the inbuilt mic but us pan delay guitar effect which gives the vox a stereo tap delay effect when you pan tracks left and right. i have never added effects during a bounce so thats out of my territory maybe one for 64guitars.
Yeah thanks, that sounds like a good method to record wet with, I'll try that. In this particular case I wasn't sure how I wanted it to sound yet so I recorded everything dry with a high quality external condenser mic and the quality is quite impressive for this thing. Cool little unit that really does an amazing amount of stuff, just a little quirky. Maybe I'll just experiment to see what works when I get home. Thanks again.

64Guitars

You can't get stereo from playing a single track. If you're hearing the stereo effect of the tap delay when you press Play, then the stereo tap delay is already recorded to a pair of tracks (probably Tr1v1 and Tr2v1). If you're ready to master, then there's no need to bounce because Mastering mode will do that for you. It mixes all four channels into a stereo pair according to your pan settings for each channel.

To confirm that you've already recorded to a pair of tracks, have a look at your song in the BR Wave Converter. It will show the current status of each of your tracks. Recorded tracks are shown in green. I expect that you'll see two green tracks. After you master, you'll see four green tracks - the original stereo pair and the mastered stereo pair.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 03, 2009, 10:03:32 AMYou can't get stereo from playing a single track. If you're hearing the stereo effect of the tap delay when you press Play, then the stereo tap delay is already recorded to a pair of tracks (probably Tr1v1 and Tr2v1). If you're ready to master, then there's no need to bounce because Mastering mode will do that for you. It mixes all four channels into a stereo pair according to your pan settings for each channel.

To confirm that you've already recorded to a pair of tracks, have a look at your song in the BR Wave Converter. It will show the current status of each of your tracks. Recorded tracks are shown in green. I expect that you'll see two green tracks. After you master, you'll see four green tracks - the original stereo pair and the mastered stereo pair.

ok so maybe it's not stereo because I only have one track recorded. How do I then add this mic patch which I modified to include tap delay to a stereo track before I use the mastering kit since this patch is unavailable in masteritng mode? Just to clarify, I'm using  aglocut with alot of tweeking.
Is that wave converter for the MICROS BR I looked at it from your link ? It doesn't list the micro br as one of the recorders. Seems like a handy tool.
Thanks for your help.