"Franklin's Tower" by The Grateful Dead

Started by Blooby, September 27, 2009, 03:47:24 PM

Blooby

Franklin'sTowerEdit
Time:
0:00
Volume:
The Museum of Oddities got together the other night for another live jam.

For those not familiar with our situation, we are a gaggle of busy working stiffs who get together once every two weeks or so for a few laughs, a few beers, and some music. I tend to record most of what we do, and this offering would be a truly spontaneous version of "Franklin's Tower" by the Grateful Dead. This was our first and only attempt. There's nothing difficult about the tune by any stretch, but it's nice to be able to make something resembling music on our first try.

I just love how Stratty second guitarist Everett's tone is for the solos. It's almost unsettling, and yet it's perfect for this tune. I also dug how he started his third trade-off with that minor lick. Good stuff. As for me, any time I can break out an envelope filter, I'm a happy hippie.  As an addendum to that, I never showered today.  I think it's because of this song. Doh!

To give you an idea of how loose some of these songs are, I printed out the lyric sheet for this tune, hummed/butchered the melody line for the singer once (He only remembered the chorus at first), and we were off to the races.  I don't expect this to alter anybody's consciousness, but I think the fun comes through.

My favorite part of the evening was when somebody commented that the song was a whopping three chords. Another countered with, "Well, it is the Grateful Dead." This prompted me to say, "I'll have you know that The Grateful Dead is a very misunderstood band." Never has silence been so deafening.

Blooby

Bluesberry

Beauty, that is one sweeeeeet vocal performance there.  Yes that strat tone is to die for, I love me a good stratty strat tone.  Nice use of the envelope filter there Blooby.  Solid drumming, solid bass.  This is a real beaut.  Great recording also, real pro job on this one, crystal clear.  You guys are grooving!!!!!

Just checking your other songs, I really like your Stormy Monday, damn man that is class.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Quote from: Bluesberry on September 27, 2009, 04:06:20 PMNice use of the envelope filter there Blooby.  Solid drumming, solid bass.  

I would have said the same thing, so I'll just quote it. Great job here. I love this song, but never knew the name. And I own the album, not knowing the name of that either. The Dead are one of the few bands that have "Play Through" albums. Just pop a cd in from a beer soaked stack and play to the end. Then get another one...

The backing vox were very good - sounded natural.

The real deal, man - awesome!!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

What a stunning sound!!!

This is recording studio Quality!!!!!!

Everything in this is Good!!!!!!!!

Correction......

Everything in this is Awesome, Good and full of win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A True good time Song!

It is full of win to the forllowing degree:_

I can hear this being played in a bar.....

A Rough bar.........

Behind you are some pinball machines.......

You can feel someone Watching you....

You don't want to look at first because you aint here for trouble......

Then you think............

F*ck it and look......

And you see this..........

Win.......

This track is full of it........

Peace

T(OSckilo)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Geir

You guys are my heros !!!

This being first take just shows what quality band you are !!!!

Love it !
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

Quote from: Blooby on September 28, 2009, 04:26:00 PMp.s.- Song at the following link still longs for feedback on the mix: https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=4512.0

But what about the mix...not a lot a lot of feedback on the mix?  I just think it sounds real good, panning, levels, clear instrumentation, really pro sounding.  I don't know what else to say, really.  All you BR-1600 guys are so fanatical about the mix, you want to analyze every little nuance.  This sounds real good on headphones, sounds good cranked loud.  Who else has comments about the mix here for Blooby?  Come on guys, what about the mix?

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

Quote from: Bluesberry on September 28, 2009, 07:15:05 PMAll you BR-1600 guys are so fanatical about the mix, you want to analyze every little nuance.  

I listen back to posts from six months ago and hear some improvement, so yes, I am very fanatical about the mix.  Thank you for the comments.  All suggestions are appreciated.  On this one, I'm wrestling with drum and vocal levels.

On another note, can somebody put the Blooby avatar in the middle of osckilo's posted image above, maybe nestling on a bosom or two?  If you have no idea what I'm referring to, perhaps it's better that way.

Blooby

Bluesberry

I was just goofing with you Blooby, but in all seriousness I cant really think of how to improve on the way it sounds, for a live recording it really does sound good.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

Quote from: Bluesberry on September 28, 2009, 07:27:08 PMI was just goofing with you Blooby, but in all seriousness I cant really think of how to improve on the way it sounds, for a live recording it really does sound good.

No offense taken.

But what I really want to know is what about me nestling on a bosom?

Blooby

64Guitars

Quote from: Blooby on September 27, 2009, 03:47:24 PMAs far as technical notes goes, the smallest stereo file I could encode was still over five megabytes, so I trimmed the ending.

QuoteFinally, I have been building Google sites for the other group members to hear our current efforts

http://sites.google.com/site/mooseptember242009/previous-jams

Did you know that we can now link to MP3s stored on external sites by using the new [singlemp3] [/singlemp3] tags?

For example, here's the un-edited version of your "Franklin's Tower" (6.873 MB) linked straight from your Google site:

Time:
Volume:

And here's "Stormy Monday" which is 7.684 MB:

Time:
Volume:

Nice job on the web site, by the way.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864