Recording from PA

Started by 5MV, September 23, 2009, 12:37:32 PM

5MV

Hi,

Does anyone know it is possible to connect the boss micro BR to the mixing desk of a PA and register the performance?

If so, how do you do it and do you need any special connecors?

Cheers,
Roland

SdC

Hi Roland welcome to bossbr.net where it's all about the music.
Yeah no problem to hook it up.
Best way is to use the LiNE OUT or MONITOR OUT signal from the PA. Connect that to the BR's LINE IN. You'd probably need a dual-jack to stereo mini-jack cable for that.
If those outputs are already used for other equipment, you could also use  the PA's PHONES OUT, using a stereo jack to stereo mini-jack cable. Those cables are very standard and should be available at your local musical instrument store.

recorder
Boss BR-600

5MV

Thank you SdC,

Sounds promising.  Do i need to worry about input levels.

Also, read something on this forum (which is great by the way) that you can opt to record straight to mp3 or use a song.  So at a later stage you can master the recording.  I have a one gigabyte card.  Can i use that for the song option and record our gig which is 2 sets of 15 songs?  Baically we will turn on the recording at the beginning of the set and turn it off at the end, so we will have two recordings.

Cheers,
Roland

Greeny

Quote from: 5MV on September 23, 2009, 12:37:32 PMHi,

Does anyone know it is possible to connect the boss micro BR to the mixing desk of a PA and register the performance?

If so, how do you do it and do you need any special connecors?

Cheers,
Roland

Do just as SdC says... I've done it like that at open mic nights and it works a treat on the recording front. The only thing you might have issues wth is the size of the file when it comes to mastering. You may have to do that on a PC with the BR Wave Convertor. Once you have a raw wav or mp3 file on a pc, it's easy to cut it up with Audacity / Wavepad or similar if you want it in bite-size chunks.

I found the recording a bit 'dry' on atmosphere though - it doesn't pick up too much room and crowd ambience through a mixing desk.

Here's an example of the quality you can expect...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7804759

5MV

Hi All and thanks for the tips.

The gig went ok and we got a recording out of the Boss Micro BR.  Only things is we did not get a "dry" mix.  Selecting an output from the mixing desk straight to the line in/mic input resulted that (i think) the internal mike of the Boss was still activated.  Actually i think this is the only source as the whole recording sounds like a "live" mix if you know what i mean.  When the Boss was connected i activated the input menu and highlighted the LIN function.  Was that a mistake?

But, i have to say.  If this is the quality of the internal mike it is a pretty good mike :)

Rock and roll,
Roland