The Making of Sgt Pepper

Started by Davo, September 20, 2009, 03:54:33 AM

Davo

To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

OsCKilO

The South Bank Show!!!!!!!!!!

That show reminds me of being a kid!

Sunday Nights, School in the morning, and nothing else on the 4 T.V channels we had......
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

tony

Thanks for posting this.  I just sat and watched the six (YouTube) parts of the doco and it made me think about an album that hasn't crossed my mind in decades.  And the format, with George Martin at the mixing desk, might have been the model for the Classic Albums series - I don't know, the dates might be wrong.  But certainly it is worth the 50 minutes or whatever it was.  Ringo was such a good drummer, he really was.

Davo

Quote from: tony on September 20, 2009, 08:49:05 AMThanks for posting this.  I just sat and watched the six (YouTube) parts of the doco and it made me think about an album that hasn't crossed my mind in decades.  And the format, with George Martin at the mixing desk, might have been the model for the Classic Albums series - I don't know, the dates might be wrong.  But certainly it is worth the 50 minutes or whatever it was.  Ringo was such a good drummer, he really was.
Ringo is under rated.  Its interesting seeing those guys much younger discussing the album.

And yes, I think the "classic album" series sprang from this-either way I love when they play iso tracks, discuss them, and then bring em into the mix of the song. 

Davo

Quote from: osckilo on September 20, 2009, 07:17:44 AMThe South Bank Show!!!!!!!!!!

That show reminds me of being a kid!

Sunday Nights, School in the morning, and nothing else on the 4 T.V channels we had......

When I was a kid, Sunday night meant one thing-the Simpsons.

Greeny

Has anyone got or heard the re-master of Sergeant Peppers? I'd be interested to know what you all think. I've read that Paul's bass sounds incredible (as if it didn't already!).

Davo

Quote from: Greeny on September 22, 2009, 02:29:59 PMHas anyone got or heard the re-master of Sergeant Peppers? I'd be interested to know what you all think. I've read that Paul's bass sounds incredible (as if it didn't already!).

I have only heard that it sounds insanley good.

Almost as if it was recorded today.

Ted

I'm on the third YouTube video (Part 3) now.  It's a treat to watch George Martin move those four faders and hear what happens.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Davo

Quote from: Ted on September 23, 2009, 09:55:33 AMI'm on the third YouTube video (Part 3) now.  It's a treat to watch George Martin move those four faders and hear what happens.
4 tracks and the truth-thats all you need.

tony

There was plenty good rock 'n' roll recorded on 2 tracks.  Atlantic never had a 4 track machine - went straight from 2 tracks to 8.