Serious card problem

Started by jjl5590, September 18, 2009, 04:05:32 PM

jjl5590

Hiya,

My MBR was working perfectly until a couple of hours ago when I tried to record something...

I have 3 memory cards. I use one 1GB for my MBR.

When I hit record, it said "Card Locked". This was odd, so I checked to see if I had accidently moved the lock switch on the SD card. I hadn't. I put it back in and tried recording again, but it still told me the card was locked.

Thinking formatting the card might fix the problem, I tried to export my current tracks so I wouldn't lose them, but it wouldn't let me do this either.

I then tried a completely different SD card (the stock 128mb one). This card has nothing on it at all, but it still said "Card Locked".

I then tried a 2GB card (I've been told anything over 1GB does not work in the MBR, but oh well), and again, "Card Locked".

I am truly confused about what to do now. It sounds like it is a fault with the MBR, but I bought it off eBay (new) but have no receipt and so can't take it back anywhere.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Ted

I'm guessing this isn't the problem, because you tried three cards.  But, have you made sure that your card isn't actually locked?

What I'd try is blowing some compressed air into the card slot, and see if there's not something in the making the MBR think sense that all the cards you're trying are locked.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

Sounds like the write-protect switch inside the BR's memory card slot is stuck in the locked position (contacts open). See this page:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/11414-2-card-reader-card-write-protected

If you have good mechanical and electrical skills, you could try fixing it yourself. Otherwise, you might want to phone Roland tech support and find out about sending it to them for repair - especially if it's under warranty.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

jjl5590

Thanks for the answers guys,

I am 100% sure that all the cards were not "locked" when I put them in the MBR. In the case of my 1GB card, the little white switch is actually glued in place (unlocked).

64Guitars, is there any particular post I should read on that link?

Cheers